24 Mar 2008 21:59:39 PM
24 Mar 2008 21:59:39 PM
24 Mar 2008 21:05:49 PM
It was bad enough when Mike Pyle’s contract disputes prevented Jake Shields from taking home a well-deserved EliteXC championship belt in November. Now it looks like his fight against Drew Fickett at this Saturday’s Strikeforce/EliteXC event — which many assumed would officially establish Shields as the welterweight title holder — won’t even happen.
[Shields] flew to Los Angeles in order to meet with a specialist. While he had experienced some improvement with the injury, it was determined that he would not be ready in time for Saturday’s fight. A decision was then made to postpone the bout. A re-scheduled date for the bout has not been set, but Shields indicated that the title fight could take place within the next couple of months.
I guess that’s what you get for letting Brandon Vera give you a pinkbelly; that shot probably dislodged at least four discs. Shields’s dropout is just the latest blow to an event that had already suffered the loss of one big name, when Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos was forced to pull out of the card due to visa issues.
In related news, an EliteXC lightweight title fight between Yves Edwards and K.J. Noons has been postponed to June 14th. The two fighters were supposed to meet at an April 26th show in Hawaii, but that event has reportedly been canceled altogether. Our first thought is that EliteXC is canceling the show to reserve some talent for their first CBS broadcasts, but we’ll let you know if/when they release an official statement.Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 19:43:10 PM
A handful of fights are being reported for upcoming UFC events, so let’s get to it, shall we? Joe “Daddy” Stevenson has loaded back up on blood since his recent sticky mess at UFC 80 versus BJ Penn, and is ready to get back at it. MMAMania is reporting that Joe Daddy will fight Gleison Tibau at UFC 86. The event is set for July 5th in Vegas and will be headlined by the Rampage Jackson and Forrest Griffin war.
Joe is 28-8 overall and 5-2 after dropping down to lightweight. His opponent last fought at UFC 81 where he lost to Tyson Griffin. The loss dropped him to 15-5 overall.
In other UFC 86 news, FightNetwork is reporting that Patrick “The Predator” Cote is apparently set to face Ricardo “Cachorrao” Almeida at the show. Although Almeida has not been officially confirmed, it looks like he’s the man:
Although Cote would neither confirm nor deny Almeida as his opponent, longtime training partner and friend David “The Crow” Loiseau said on Monday that the heavy-handed Quebec native would be taking on the decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.
Cote has notched a 12-4 pro record and is 6-1 since back-to-back losses in 2005. He has never been knocked out and has won his last three via TKO. The middleweight has spent much of his career in the UFC and is certainly climbing the ladder to — dare we say it — a title shot. Cote has his eyes on the prize and has a “timeline” for that to happen:
“We wanted a big fight,” Cote said. “I have four wins in a row – three in the UFC – and I think I’m ready for a real tough opponent. I want to fight a guy who, if I win, the UFC will put me in a title fight or one more fight before I get my shot.”
Almeida is 9-2 as a professional and would be a great test for Cote. The fighter has beaten opponents such as Kazuo Misaki and Ryo Chonan, in addition to a submission win over Rob Yundt at UFC 81.Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 18:14:25 PM
The body of M-1 Global isn’t even cold yet, and MMA organizations with money to burn are already hot on Fedor Emelianenko’s heels. Two separate reports have surfaced hinting at where Emelianenko may fight next. First, from Nokaut.com:
A reliable source has confirmed ProElite, Inc. has offered Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (27-1) a four-fight, 18-month contract…The contract calls for Emelianenko’s first two fights in the promotion to broadcast on American television network CBS as a part of the recently inked deal between ProElite and the TV giant. The final two fights would air on pay-per-view and share proceeds with Emelianenko.
M-1 Global Vice President Brian Patton denies the earlier report that Emelianenko was never under contract to M-1 Global, and ProElite’s offer seems to be on the same page, stipulating that Emelianenko will be announced in ProElite fights as “M-1 Global’s Fedor Emelianenko.”
Elsewhere, the still-sketchy partnership between Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions and Affliction Clothing may have approached the Last Emperor as well. According to an article on 5thRound:
[T]hey already have Matt “The Law” Lindland signed to a three-fight contract, and are chasing after a few other big name fighters as well. Fedor Emelianenko has been linked with the new organization, but according to Inside MMA they are also looking to sign Andrei Arlovski, Josh Barnett, Ben Rothwell and Aleksander Emelianenko.
Part of us hopes that Fedor can sign non-exclusive deals with both of these outfits (and maybe others) so he can regularly be involved in superfights that would be broadcast on CBS and HBO. But we can’t shake the feeling that a fighter needs to be committed to a single organization for his fights to really matter. What made Fedor a star in PRIDE, and Randy Couture a star in the UFC? The belt. And what do you accomplish by defeating someone in a one-off match promoted by Golden Boy/Affliction? A truckload of money, yes. The knowledge that you beat Fighter X, also yes. But if there’s no system involving contenders, title shots, and championship belts, question marks will always remain in your legacy. Anyway, just something to consider. A more open, promotional model may turn out to be better for MMA’s elite, big-named fighters, but will it really be better for the sport?Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 16:29:47 PM
By CagePotato Guest Contributor Ben Fowlkes
Ed Soares never stops. For the MMA manager and owner of Sinister Brand clothing, there’s really no such thing as spare time.
It’s the day before Easter when we finally catch up with him. He’s driving down to San Diego to sign an endorsement deal with Bad Boy clothing for Lyoto Machida, one of many in his stable of high-profile Brazilian fighters. With a client list that includes Anderson Silva, both Nogueira brothers, and WEC champ Paulo Filho, it’s easy to see why Soares might not be getting much rest these days.
In this exclusive interview, Soares talks to us about riding the highs and lows along with his fighters, the many jobs a manager does, and what it means to be the go-to guy for Brazilian mixed martial artists in the U.S. and abroad.
CagePotato: Ed, tell us a little about all the different things you do. How are you spending your time these days?
Ed Soares: The responsibility that consumes ninety percent of my time is my fighter management business. We manage some of the best athletes in the world — Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo (and) Rogerio Nogueira, Rafael Feijao, Lyoto Machida, Paulo Filho. We’ve got a lot of up-and-coming talents, too. Most of my time is spent handling their business, from endorsement deals to scheduling media events. I’ve had to hire an assistant to help me, and it still takes up most of my time. I also own Sinister Brand Clothing, but about eight months ago I hired a president to run my company, so I don’t handle too much of the day-to-day stuff. My two partners take care of that. And I have a partner in my management company who lives in Brazil. He takes care of everything in Brazil and I take care of everything up here in Los Angeles.
It seems like you’ve created a niche for yourself, managing so many of the top Brazilian fighters. How did you get started doing this?
Well, I’m Brazilian. Both my mom and my dad are Brazilian, and I’m actually the only one in my family who was born here in California. Before I started managing MMA fighters I started out as a nightclub promoter, and I also worked with and managed hip-hop groups. There’s actually a lot of similarities between managing a music group and a fighter, because at the end of the day they’re both entertainment. You want to create a following for your band or your fighter and you have to fill seats and sell pay-per-views.
I’ve always been interested in pro fighting and MMA, but the way I actually got into it was by producing a TV show called Passing The Guard with Jorge Guinarias, who’s a TV celebrity in Brazil — kind of like what Larry Merchant is to boxing here, he is to MMA in Brazil. When we started that in April 2004 it was basically the only MMA-related show on free television, even before The Ultimate Fighter. We did the show through December 31st of ’06, and through that we started building a good rapport with the fight organizations, simply because we were giving them exposure for free. And of course, we’ve always had a good relationship with the fighters, because that’s who we were interviewing. With my background in management, it was just a natural evolution for us to start representing fighters.Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 15:06:39 PM
Here’s the main event from Friday’s ShoXC card, which ended with Malaipet Sitprapom kneeing Thomas Denny in the face while he was down, then dropping three illegal downward elbow strikes into the back of Denny’s head (5:53-5:58). Denny controlled the action up until then, nearly finishing the fight early with a rear-naked choke attempt and then causing some damage from the mount, but Malaipet was able to shake himself out of both positions. Skip to the 11:33 mark for Denny’s post-fight interview, where he voices his displeasure at the way things went down; a rematch looks likely.Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 02:58:21 AM
(Shad Smith, out!)
No, it’s not GSP. And it’s not James Thompson or Don Frye. The guy’s name is Shad Smith and he was outed yesterday by The New York Times. The 35-year-old KOTC vet — who is the first openly gay male fighter in MMA — recently spoke to The Times and chatted about growing up fighting in a neighborhood where he and his brothers were the minorities. Sounds like the guy had quite a chip on his shoulder, too:
“I was just mad-dogging everyone” — staring them down — “until somebody said something, and then I’d put my hands up and start fighting.” He said he had 46 counts of assault and battery as a juvenile. “And that’s 46 counts posted on me. Can you imagine how many there actually were?”
And then came the outing:
I asked Smith why he spent so much of his youth looking for trouble. I expected some sort of clichéd, though possibly true, explanation — a difficult childhood or a Napoleon complex. What I didn’t expect him to say was, “You know, bro, the sexual-preference thing.”
Smith is gay, and I know of no other professional fighter who is openly so. “I was always scared that my mom and dad would find out and wouldn’t like me, and my brothers wouldn’t like me,” he said. “I was petrified, because I didn’t want anyone to find out. And I would try to be the toughest person around. That way, no one would suspect, no one would ever say it, no one would think it.”
So there you have it. Since this is such a ridiculously-homophobic industry, I imagine it’ll be hard for Smith to get fighters to agree to matches with him now — especially if they share Brock Lesnar’s 18th Century views. Smith last fought in January, losing to Dave Rivas. He is 9-9-2 overall and is 0-3-1 in his last four.
On that note, here’s a video that is fitting for the topic of this post — and kinda’ sweet.
(Props BloodyElbow)Read More DIGG THIS
24 Mar 2008 01:30:38 AM
So this thing might actually happen. Seriously. That is if NBCSports can be believed. Then again, some writers over there have been trying to sell me on buying some lunar property — which I would if the plumbing wasn’t so shitty. Anyway, back to what I was saying. We promised we’d keep tabs on this and now NBCSports is reporting that boxing great Roy Jones, Jr. and Anderson Silva’s people are “actively engaging in talks” for the two fighters to duke it out in the boxing ring. the PR director for Don King Productions, Alan Hopper, confirmed the negotiations.
“Roy likes the idea and is up for it,” Hopper said. “It’s being discussed. Roy will only agree if the match takes place under the rules of boxing, and UFC would have to clear Silva’s participation.”
Ah, that little “UFC clearing Silva’s participation” thing will almost certainly derail this. If Anderson Silva gets pissed enough when the UFC refuses to let him do it, maybe he’ll go the way of Tito and Randy Couture. I hate to mention such a thing, but if history serves as a guide…
I’m not sure how I feel about this. Boxing’s yawn-inducing stretch in the last decade and MMA’s many dimensions is why I haven’t dropped a dime on boxing pay-per-view events since before Monica “did not have sexual relations” with Bill. And let’s face it, Anderson Silva will likely lose. It’d be a big money-maker for both fighters and I’d probably still watch it, but I also don’t want this sort of thing setting a precedent. Next think you know, Tank Abbott will be challenging Big Sven, the German beer drinking champion, to a beer-off. Actually, Tank would probably win that one.Read More DIGG THIS
23 Mar 2008 23:47:43 PM
Seriously! We can’t embed it, but go to their website and brace yourself. Just look at the partial cast of characters:
Quinton “Money” Jackson!
This terrifying clown!
A metal singer (the dude from Lamb of God, maybe?) with some truly breathtaking dreads!
I mean, fucking look at those things!
Again with the clown!
Fedor “Sleepy Boy” Emelianenko!
…and Dave Mustaine! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
23 Mar 2008 22:40:10 PM
If there’s one lesson that can be taken from the recent arrest of MMA veteran Patrick Smith, it’s this: Always bring along your prescriptions if you plan on leading police on a wild high-speed chase while taking your crotch rocket out for a spin.
As previously reported, 45-year-old Smith agreed to face Oleg Taktarov at next month’s YAMMA Pit Fighting debut after Don Frye backed out of the match due to a shoulder injury. But, according to MMAJunkie:
[J]ust hours after the announcement, KXII TV 12 in Sherman, Texas, reported that Smith had been arrested after a high-speed police chase. Smith was clocked at speeds of up 130 mph while fleeing on his sports motorcyle, police said. He’s been charged with felony attempting to elude, possession of a prescription drug without a valid prescription, and reckless driving.
It’s not yet clear whether Smith will still be able to compete in the YAMMA event, but in case Bob Meyrowitz needs to find another replacement, Teila Tuli, Ron van Clief and He-Man Gipson are available and ready to work.
Bonus: Patrick Smith pounds Scott Morris’s face into burger at UFC 2. Fight starts at the video’s 3:30 mark and ends shortly after.Read More DIGG THIS