Steroids in MMA
Which MMA Fighter Will Test Positive For Steroids Next?

September, 2014

Actual Thing: The Official UFC Hot Dog Brander


(For just $14.95, you can be the biggest douchebag at the barbecue. / Props: The UFC store via Jonathan Snowden)

Well that’s just the most worthless piece of junk I’ve ever seen. And yes, you need to read the product description:

Celebrate your fandom by turning your BBQ into a real UFC fiesta with this hotdog brander! It’ll definitely be a real party the moment you lay some UFC graphics* on your favorite BBQ foods of all time! Everyone already knows you’re on fire this season**, but when they see you searing your UFC love into your hotdogs*** they’ll know better than to mess with your boys in the octagon****!

Read More DIGG THIS

Charles Oliveira Pulled Off UFC Fight Night 50 Card Due to Illness


(When we get around to writing that list of “Top Ten Sort of Decent Rematches That Never Happened,” this one will definitely land around #8. / Photo via MMAJunkie)

After UFC featherweight Charles Oliveira missed weight by five pounds yesterday due to a week-long illness, we at CagePotato expressed our sympathy by calling our bookie ASAP and betting against him. Sadly, Oliveira’s scheduled UFC Fight Night 50 match against Nik Lentz has been canceled altogether, as Oliveira was declared medically ineligible to fight. UFC.com confirms it:

Oliveira, who was getting over a viral infection he contracted in Brazil, had a relapse earlier this week and missed weight for the bout Thursday, coming in at 150 pounds. He did not attempt to weigh in again. This morning, the Brazilian fell ill, and after being seen by a doctor he was pulled from the bout. The UFC Fight Night event at Foxwoods in Mashantucket, Connecticut will proceed as scheduled with nine bouts.

According to Ariel Helwani, Lentz will be paid his show and win money, but Oliveira won’t be paid a dime, because Dana White is a rotten, heartless person.

Read More DIGG THIS

UFC Fight Night 50 Weigh-In Results: Alistair Overeem Continues to Shrink, Charles Oliveira Too Sick to Cut Weight


(‘Jacare vs. Mousasi’ weigh-in highlights via YouTube.com/UFC)

Weigh-ins for tonight’s UFC Fight Night 50 card went down yesterday at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard, Connecticut, and they were noteworthy for two reasons:

- Charles Oliveira tipped the scales at 150 pounds for his featherweight prelim contest against Nik Lentz, and was fined 20% of his purse*. (He also earned a spot on the leaderboard.) Oliveira’s excuse didn’t exactly put our minds at ease: “I was sick for the past week in Brazil, and I was pretty bad when I got to the United States,” Oliveira told MMAFighting.com after the weigh-ins. “I couldn’t cut weight, and I’m not feeling well to cut weight, so that’s why I missed weight. I had high fever, headache. I think it was a viral infection. But I was the one who asked for this fight, so I couldn’t withdraw.”

When asked if the illness would affect his performance, Oliveira said “I don’t know, let’s wait until tomorrow.” Yeesh, good luck dude. By the way, Lentz is still a +160 underdog in this match, so get in while the getting’s good. Oliveira previously missed weight for his UFC 152 fight against Cub Swanson, coming in just over at 146.4 pounds, but that fight was made a catchweight bout and Oliveira wasn’t fined.

UPDATE: Oliveira has been pulled from the card due to illness and won’t be paid. Nik Lentz is getting his show money and win money, but not a cut of Oliveira’s purse.

- Also, heavyweight co-main eventer Alistair Overeem weighed-in at a lean and mean 248 pounds, continuing the shrinkage he’s undergone in his UFC career: Overeem was up in the 260′s for his first two bouts in the UFC (263 against Brock Lesnar, 264 against Bigfoot), then dropped to the 250′s for his next two (255.5 against Travis Browne, 257 against Frank Mir). Somehow, he’s misplaced nine pounds since his last fight. The Demolition Man is steadily returning to his old beanpole days — but at least he looks better than Rothwell.

Check out the full UFC Fight Night 50 weigh-in results after the jump (via B/R), and be sure to come back tonight at 10 p.m. ET for our liveblog of the main card!

Read More DIGG THIS

Thiago Silva Beats Aggravated Assault Case, Because His Ex-Wife Has Left the Country


(Deal with it. / Photo via Getty)

In a victory for bad guys everywhere, former UFC light-heavyweight Thiago Silva has been officially cleared of all charges related to an alleged spree of mayhem in January and February of this year. Silva had been accused of sticking a gun in his ex-wife Thaysa’s mouth and threatening to kill her, sending her bonus death-threats via text message, then driving over to Pablo Popovitch’s gym and threatening to shoot up the place. He was eventually charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence.

Luckily — for Silva, not for society — a Florida judge dropped all the charges:

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with a Broward County State Attorney’s office representative following an initial report from TMZ. The representative said that the charges were likely dropped because the alleged victim had become uncooperative and investigators had determined that she had likely moved out of the country.

Read More DIGG THIS

Hector Lombard and Tyron Woodley Have A Slightly Different Understanding of What it Means to Be Teammates


(The same can be said about their understanding of the English language, it appears.)

You guys, I don’t want to instigate anything, but it sounds like Tyron Woodley *might* just be ducking Hector Lombard.

On the heels of a first round TKO of Dong Hyun Kim, Woodley has quickly rebounded from the three round drubbing he suffered at the hands of Rory MacDonald in June, and is in a prime position to receive another highly-ranked opponent. Enter Hector Lombard, currently ranked #6 (if UFC rankings are your thing) and riding back-to-back wins over Nate Marquardt and Jake Shields since dropping to welterweight. A fight with the #3 ranked Woodley makes sense for both men given their current trajectories, but Woodley isn’t having any part of it.

As things of this nature usually are, word of Woodley’s hesitance was first made public by Dana White during the UFC 177 media scrum:

I called Woodley and said, ‘Here’s what your teammate just said, and he wants this fight bad.’ And he said, ‘He can say whatever he wants, he’s about him and he’s always been about him. This fight doesn’t work for me and my brand.’ He started telling me all the reasons why he doesn’t want this fight and I just said, ‘Whatever kid, whatever.’ He wants nothing to do with Hector. Hector wants this fight, Woodley does not.

It’s not good for his brand? Is Woodley even aware that Lombard is the king of rebranding? That’s “Shower There” Lombard you’re talking about, so show some goddamn respect!

Read More DIGG THIS

Throwback Thursday: Alistair Overeem’s Eight Greatest Squash Match Performances


(Simon says, “Die.” Photo via sescoopes)

If the bookies are to be believed, Alistair Overeem should tear through Ben Rothwell like tissue paper at Fight Night Mashantucket tomorrow. Currently listed as high as a 7 to 1 favorite over “Big” Ben, Overeem is already making some pretty bold claims about his next run at a title, which cannot possibly backfire a second time. Hell, Overeem might even throw Anthony Johnson a pity beatdown on his way to said title, just for kicks. He’s THAT confident.

Then again, confidence has never really been an issue for Overeem, and it’s easy to see why. When he is paired up against anyone less than a top contender, Overeem fights as if he’s been beamed down from a distant planet (let’s call it, “Pectoria”) to remind us humans of how puny and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of it all. Even his nickname, “The Demolition Man”, is otherworldly in its awesomeness.

And while it’s true that Overeem has struggled against upper echelon competition throughout his career, it’s also true that there isn’t a fighter alive who crushes cans quite like he does (not that Rothwell is by any means a can). Ubereem is the foremost purveyor of squash matches, indeed, so let these eight videos serve as a testament to his greatness.

In Which The Uber Makes Gary Goodridge Cry Out in Agony

By the time Gary Goodridge got around to fighting Alistair Overeem, he was a 42-year-old (though oddly enough, introduced as 32) relic of his former self who was waist deep in the eight-fight losing streak that would end his MMA career. Overeem, on the other hand, had just obliterated Mirko Cro Cop‘s testicles at DREAM 6. To say that these men’s careers were heading in opposite directions would be a slight understatement.

Read More DIGG THIS

Randy Couture Added to ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Season 19 Cast


(“And you say you’re self-taught? IMPOSSIBLE.”)

The cast of Dancing With the Stars Season 19 was announced this morning, and to our great delight, it features 51-year-old UFC Hall-of-Famer Randy Couture. The Expendables and Gym Rescue co-star (and expert tail-puller) has been partnered up with Karina Smirnoff for the season, which debuts September 15th on ABC.

Couture will wage ballroom warfare against an eclectic bunch of celebrities (and “celebrities”), including legendary pothead Tommy Chong, Olympian Lolo Jones, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air‘s Alfonso Ribeiro, who will surely be busting out the Carlton Dance at some point.

“The Natural” will be just the second UFC fighter to appear on the American version of DWtS, following Chuck Liddell in 2009, who was eliminated fifth on Season 9, and gave us some good laughs along the way. In 2012, Denis Kang appeared on the show’s South Korean version, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira appeared on Brazil’s “Dance of the Famous”.

After the jump: Some photos that Chuck and Anna Trebunskaya shot for SI after Season 9, just because they’re awesome.

Read More DIGG THIS

UFC Fight Night 50 Video Hype: Jacare Souza’s Origin Story, Derrick Lewis’s ‘Two Lives’ + More

We ain’t even gonna front — UFC Fight Night 50: Jacare vs. Mousasi is one of the best free cards of the year, and you have no reason not to watch the action-heavy six-fight four-fight main card tomorrow night on FOX Sports 1. Get familiar with the lineup by watching these new preview videos from the UFC YouTube channel.

Above: Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza describes his journey in MMA and his thoughts on opponent Gegard Mousasi. (By the way, props to whoever designed the X-Gym doors. Super classy.) Below: Derrick “The Black Beast” Lewis discusses the violent experiences that shaped his early life, and how he’s matured through MMA.

After the jump: Ben Rothwell vows to beat Alistair Overeem‘s ass, and the full “Countdown” episode for UFC Fight Night 50, which includes a look at the Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Chiesa matchup.

Read More DIGG THIS

Sign of the End Times: FOX Sports Pushes Back ‘UFC Fight Night: Jacare vs. Mousasi’ Main Card to Avoid Competing With Bellator


(Disclaimer: This week’s Bellator show may not actually feature Michael Chandler dancing like a cracker-ass doof and King Mo shaking his head at him.)

Until yesterday, UFC Fight Night 50: Jacare vs. Mousasi (aka The Massacre in Mashantucket) was scheduled to have a six-fight main card beginning at 9 p.m. ET this Friday on FOX Sports 1. But in an unexpected and downright bizarre turn of events, FOX Sports confirmed last night that it will be bumping the first two main card fights down to the prelims — Charles Oliveira vs. Nik Lentz and John Moraga vs. Justin Scoggins — and starting the main card an hour later, at 10 p.m. ET.

This is great news for die-hard MMA fans, considering that the Bellator 123: Curran vs. Pitbull 2 main card — which kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on Spike TV, also this Friday — will be wrapping up right around then. So why would FOX Sports make this change on three days’ notice? There’s only one explanation: They didn’t want the first hour of their main card to be blown out by Bellator’s headliners. That’s right, the UFC has conceded the #FridayNightWars scheduling battle to Scott Coker, who is most likely grabbing his nuts right now.

Keep in mind that the entire UFC Fight Night 50 preliminary card will be aired on FOX Sports 1, starting at 7 p.m. ET. And if that broadcast does a weaker number than the Bellator show on Spike, who cares? Prelims aren’t supposed to draw a big number, right? What FOX Sports and the UFC are doing is making sure to avoid any unfavorable comparisons during the meat of their broadcasts; they don’t want the 9-10 p.m. slot on FS1 to be a ghost town because everybody’s down the dial watching a potential dogfight between Pat Curran and Pitbull Freire.

It was a game of cable-scheduling chicken, and the UFC swerved first, which is shocking for anybody who remembers the UFC at its ruthless counter-programming peak — the UFC that would book a free Anderson Silva fight on short notice just to bury Affliction. And so, Bellator earns a moral victory, and MMA fans without two television sets or DVR service don’t have to choose which event to watch on Friday. Hell, if you live in Connecticut, you could probably watch both main cards in person, since the venues are only ten miles away. The true winner of #FridayNightWars? The fans.

Follow us after the jump for the current broadcast info and fight cards for UFC Fight Night 50 and Bellator 123 on Friday…

Read More DIGG THIS

War Machine Makes First Court Appearance for Christy Mack Assault; Faces Life in Prison Without Parole


(Photo via Fox5Vegas)

Much-reviled MMA fighter War Machine (aka Jon Koppenhaver) made his first court appearance in Las Vegas today, following the alleged assault of his girlfriend Christy Mack last month. The UFC/Bellator veteran was formally read the charges against him, which now include allegations of attempted murder and sexual assault dating back to May 2013. As the Las Vegas Review Journal reports:

Koppenhaver, who originally faced nine charges in connection with the alleged attack last month, now faces a total of 32 counts, including attempted murder, sexual assault, battery, coercion, preventing or dissuading a witness or victim from reporting a crime, and first-degree kidnapping resulting in substantial bodily harm.

According to @PandulloLaw, the number of charges is actually 31, with an original lewdness charge now dropped. Also, this:

Koppenhaver was ordered to be held without bail, and is due back in court on October 17th. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Previously:
- BREAKING: War Machine Captured Alive by U.S. Marshals in Simi Valley, CA
- Three Myths Busted by the War Machine/Christy Mack Police Report

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA