Steroids in MMA
Which MMA Fighter Will Test Positive For Steroids Next?

September, 2014

Behold: The Most Awkward Cat Zingano Interview of All Time

The 2014 Potato Award for “Most Awkward Interview” has been clinched, folks. An aspiring (read: totally untrained and unqualified) MMA journalist named Paulie G interviewed Cat Zingano at the UFC 178 media day yesterday, and came away with the anti-masterpiece of cringeyness you see above. My God, it is so awful. Some highlights.

- “Are you nice and relaxed? You seem relaxed.” — Already, it’s feeling like a BangBros scene. And the title of the video places it squarely in fanboy territory to begin with.

- “You had a long layoff. You had a little taste of it, right, with the Miesha Tate fight. And now you’re back. Right? And uh, do you think Amanda Nunes’s opponents were tough, that she faced, her first two opponents, in UFC?” LMFAO!!

- Zingano officially checks out of the interview at the 0:51 mark.

Read More DIGG THIS

Nick Diaz Pleads Not Guilty to DUI Charges


(And yes, that is how you formally enter a “not guilty” plea in Stockton. / Photo via NateDogg209)

According to an ESPN report, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz pleaded not guilty yesterday to eight DUI-related charges stemming from incidents in November 2013 and earlier this month. Diaz’s plea was entered in San Joaquin County Court in California, through his attorney Mandeep Singh Sidhu.* His next court appearance is slated for November 6th, less than three months before he’s scheduled to face Anderson Silva at UFC 183.

Diaz’s charges include DUI, DUI with an alcohol or drug level above .08, unsafe speed for prevailing conditions, failure to appear after written promise**, driving with a suspended license, and a resisting arrest charge that Diaz picked up while trying to vomit up his alcohol at the Lodi Police Department.

Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White have both gone on record saying that Diaz’s superfight against Silva won’t be jeopardized by these charges as long as he deals with the situation and shows up for his court appearances, which is the just about the biggest “as long as” in MMA history. Not showing up is kind of what Diaz is known for.

I have two suggestions for the UFC at this point…

Read More DIGG THIS

Another Ex-Girlfriend of Anthony Johnson Accused Him of Battery in March, Police Report Reveals


(Photo via Getty)

As we previously reported, UFC light-heavyweight Anthony Johnson is currently on an indefinite suspension, following allegations that he brutally assaulted the mother of two of his children at her place of employment in 2012, then talked her out of pressing charges; the victim claims she has been receiving threatening calls and text messages since then. This followed a separate incident in 2009, in which Johnson roughed up a different woman and eventually pleaded nolo contendere to a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence.

Unfortunately, Johnson’s history of abuse doesn’t end there. According to a police report first unearthed by MMAJunkie, another ex-girlfriend of the UFC fighter claimed that Johnson assaulted her at her place of employment. Via Junkie:

On March 19, the woman called police to get Johnson to leave her place of employment, Park’s Taekwondo. According to the probable cause affidavit, she did not give a full account of the incident until the next day, when a teacher from the taekwondo school called police to document a text message he said he received from Johnson. The woman told police then that Johnson had showed up unannounced at Park’s Taekwondo on 15 separate occasions in the three months she had worked there, even though their sexual relationship ended in 2012.

The woman said Johnson knew she was working alone March 19. She said he demanded to speak with her, grabbed her shirt behind the neck, lifted her up from the chair by her shirt and grabbed her right arm. She showed the investigator “bruising on her right forearm and a reddish scratch mark near her right collarbone.” She told police she asked Johnson to leave several times, but he did not until police arrived.

Read More DIGG THIS

Hot Potato: 15 Photos of STACKED MMANitro Ring Girl Allira Cohrs


(Props be to BabesofMMA, per usual.)

Meet Allira Cohrs, a NitroMMA ring girl, model/presenter, and self-described “hippie at heart” (translation: Nick Diaz fan) who was recently voted the 53rd sexiest girl in the entire freaking world by FHM readers. According to her website, this Australian smokeshow is also a qualified personal fitness trainer who spends her free time on the mats over at Gracie Elite and watching UFC events with her family. Her likes include red wine and Boxing (presumably not at the same time), and her dislikes include Spiders & Blue Cheese, which sounds like an absolutely terrifying culinary experience.

Check out 15 of our favorite photos of Allira in the gallery after the jump, and make sure to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.

Read More DIGG THIS

Renzo Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (!!!!) to Headline Metamoris 5, Rory MacDonald Also Scheduled

You gotta hand it to the folks over at Metamoris; in two short years, Ralek Gracie & Co. have managed to book some of the most intriguing Jiu-Jitsu matches outside of an ADCC tournament. Bringing guys like Chael Sonnen, Josh Barnett, and Eddie Bravo into the fold has helped the oft overlooked sport a wider audience than it has ever received, and it looks like Metamoris will continue that trend with their fifth event, which features quite possibly their best main event matchup so far.

Yesterday afternoon, the submission-only grappling promotion announced the lineup for Metamoris 5, which goes down on November 22nd, and it looks a little something like this:

Renzo Gracie vs Kazushi Sakuraba

Rory MacDonald vs J.T. Torres

Yuri Simoes vs Rafael Lovato Jr

Vinny Magalhaes vs Kevin Casey

Garry Tonon vs Zak Maxwell

Secret Match

Yes, you read that correctly: Renzo Gracie. Kazushi “The Gracie Hunter” Sakuraba. Rory MacDonald. Vinny Magalhay-eyes. Tell them what we think of this lineup, Philip J. Fry.

As any MMA fan with even an ounce of dignity knows, the main event will serve as a rematch of sorts to Sakuraba and Gracie’s Pride 10 match, which saw Sakuraba break Gracie’s arm like a goddamn chicken wing with 17 seconds left in the second round. While both men’s MMA careers have taken something of a downswing in the time since, the heat behind this matchup should be at a fever pitch. Should Sakuraba emerge victorious, expect to see Royce Gracie get all up in his grill backstage like the true professional he is.

After the jump: Sakuraba vs. Gracie at Pride 10. UH-DOI!

Read More DIGG THIS

VIDEO: Jessica Penne Chokes Out Lisa Ellis on TUF 20, Episode 3


(Props: TheUltimateFighterFX)

On last night’s episode of The Ultimate Fighter, #13-ranked Team Melendez strawweight Lisa Ellis had the chance to avenge her Invicta FC 1 TKO loss to #4-ranked Team Pettis fighter Jessica Penne. It didn’t go so well. This time, Penne only needed a single round to lock in a rear-naked choke and secure the tap from Ellis. Video of the full fight is above.

The victory gives Team Pettis a 3-0 lead over Team Melendez going into next week’s rankings-mismatch of Carla Esparza (#1, Team Pettis) vs. Angela Hill (#16, Team Melendez). Also, remember that tease-scene of Bec Rawlings crying in episode 1? Well:

The episode begins on a somber note. Dana White comes into the locker room looking for Bec Rawlings. He takes her into a side room and gives the bad news. After a long bout with Parkinson’s disease, her stepfather passed away. Bec knew that there was a chance of this happening when she left Australia, but the news still hits her hard. Her stepfather was a big fan of her career and she laments that, “I was hoping he could hold on a little longer so he could see my UFC debut.”

Dang. Our condolences, Bec.

Read More DIGG THIS

Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson Set as UFC Fight Night 57 Main Event in Austin


(If you don’t want to see a fourth fight between these two warriors, you’re just not a real sociopath, bro. / Photo via Getty)

The UFC announced last night that a match between featherweight contenders Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson will headline UFC Fight Night 57, November 22nd at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, TX. With both fighters in the top three according to the UFC’s rankings*, the winner could earn a title shot with an impressive performance.

Edgar has won his last two 145-pound appearances, most recently beating BJ Penn into retirement at the TUF 19 Finale in July. Swanson has won a solid six in a row, earning Fight of the Night bonuses for his last two wins against Dennis Siver and Jeremy Stevens.

UFC Fight Night 57 will also feature a lightweight bout between Bobby Green and Edson Barboza in the co-main event spot. The current lineup is after the jump…

* Lukewarm take: Frankie Edgar’s 2-1 record at featherweight shouldn’t put him close to the top five. I know that he was a former lightweight champ, and we all love Frankie, but his #3 ranking is inflated as hell. Dennis Bermudez is riding the longest win streak in UFC featherweight history and he’s all the way down at #7. What’s up with that, approved members of the UFC ranking body? And don’t give me any bullshit about “strength of schedule”: Edgar outpointed Charles Oliveira (okay) and smashed a totally depleted BJ Penn, and he’s #3? PUPPYPOOPING.JPG.

Read More DIGG THIS

Wanderlei Silva to Appeal Lifetime Ban Handed Down By “Kangaroo Court” NSAC


(For just the price of a cup of coffee a day, you can help this child AFFORD A FIGHT PASS SUBSCRIPTION TO WATCH VINTAGE WANDERLEI SILVA KICK SOME ASS! HYEAAHHH!!!)

As we’ve mentioned before, Wanderlei Silva has been hopelessly trapped in a world of delusion ever since skipping out on his random pre-fight drug test prior to UFC 175. And although he announced his retirement from the sport prior to yesterday’s NSAC meeting wherein he was handed a lifetime ban/$70,000 fine – a meeting that he didn’t even bother attending, mind you – it appears that Silva will forge ahead in his near impossible quest for redemption. The horror, the horror.

Moments after Silva was handed his punishment, Josh Gross reported that Silva would in fact be repealing the verdict within 30 days through attorney Ross Goodman, who referred to the NSAC as a “kangaroo court” (presumably before dropping the mic and peacing out that bitch). Goodman’s assessment was not entirely ungrounded, as Chuck Mindenhall pointed out in his hilarious write-up of yesterday’s proceedings.

And now, Silva is attempting to rally support from what few fans he has left via the social medias, recently sending out a series of tweets that translated to (via BloodyElbow):

Thank you my friends, you got the power and you give it for whoever you want. Thank you very much for everything. And for you that desire my fall, come to me, the war is only in the beginning you sons of bitches. You’re going to see that we rule this shit. Bunch of fops.

I’ll give Wanderlei this, the man has a surprisingly diverse vocabulary for a guy who spends the majority of his free time shooting black-and-white vlogs set to bro rock in his basement.

Read More DIGG THIS

Is World Series of Fighting’s “Pay the Fighters Half” PPV Model Crazy Enough to Work?


(“Y’know Rousimar, it’s a shame how imbalanced the profit distribution is in this sport. Sometimes, it feels like we-OW OW OW OW OKAY I’LL STOP TALKING.” / Photo via Sherdog)

World Series of Fighting turned some heads yesterday — as in, we briefly looked up from our General Tso’s chicken — when the promotion announced that it will begin putting on pay-per-view shows beginning next year. In other words, the second-tier MMA promotion that very few of you watch on cable wants you to start paying for their shows. Make sense so far?

And, because WSOF has no superfights to sell you at the moment, the promotion is trying to generate interest through a unique financial arrangement: Half of the revenue that WSOF takes in through pay-per-view sales will go to their fighters. From the press release…

LAS VEGAS (Sept. 23, 2014) – In a radical move that could forever change the earning potential of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighters, World Series of Fighting (www.wsof.com) has announced that it will enter the pay-per-view business in the second half of 2015 with an unprecedented revenue sharing model that will pay 50 percent of all net revenue earned from live pay-per-view events it produces, to the fighters featured on the telecasts.

“This is a proud day for the sport of mixed martial arts and our organization and one that we hope will create a better opportunity for the fighters who put everything on the line every time they step inside the cage,” said World Series of Fighting President, six-time world champion and two-time Hall of Famer Ray Sefo.

“Until now,” continued Sefo, “one of the main things holding this sport back from becoming even bigger than it is today has been fighter compensation and the inability of the sport’s top athletes to earn on par with top-level professional athletes in other sports.

“If fighters can’t earn a fair share of the money at the top,” said Sefo, “the fighters lose hope or become disenchanted with the sport, which impacts their commitment to training and preparing properly for title fights. That is about to change, thanks to this major step we are taking now fighters will train harder than ever to become a champion giving the fans some epic championship bouts to enjoy. We want to thank NBC Sports and NBC for giving us such an amazing stage to grow World Series of Fighting since its debut…

Additional details about World Series of Fighting’s 2015 pay-per-view launch will be announced soon.

It’s not bad for a publicity stunt. But can this revenue-sharing model actually work? Let’s do some quick math…

Read More DIGG THIS

Nate Diaz Ends His One-Man Labor Strike, Will Face Rafael Dos Anjos at UFC on FOX 13


(The homey Nate D is ready to put these ass-whoopins down to their maximum effect again. / Photo via Getty)

In the end, Nate Diaz‘s complaints about fighter pay (#funnymoney) and his demands to be let out of his contract added up to a whole lotta nothin’. The UFC confirmed yesterday that Diaz has agreed to fight fellow lightweight contender Rafael Dos Anjos in the co-main event of UFC on FOX 13: Dos Santos vs. Miocic (December 13th, Phoenix). This booking ensures that UFC on FOX 13 will do terrible ratings, since we all know that Nate Diaz is not a needle-mover.

Diaz’s attempts to renegotiate his contract broke apart on the rocky shores of Mt. Fertitta. Basically, the UFC was under no obligation to pay Nate more money than he was contracted to receive, and the promotion was content to wait until Diaz wanted to earn some money again by fighting. In the meantime, the UFC did that thing where they pretend the guy they don’t like no longer exists.

Diaz hasn’t competed since his first-round TKO of Gray Maynard at the TUF 18 Finale last November, which snapped a two-fight losing streak. Rafael Dos Anjos is coming off the biggest win of his career — a first-round knockout of Benson Henderson last month — and has won seven of his last eight fights. Your predictions, please.

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA