Steroids in MMA
Which MMA Fighter Will Test Positive For Steroids Next?

January, 2015

Alistair Overeem vs. Roy Nelson Added to ‘UFC 185: Pettis vs. Dos Anjos’


(Nelson’s decision to fight in March makes a 2016 presidential bid even less likely. / Photo via Getty)

In another classic matchup of tall muscular guy vs. short pudgy guy, UFC officials announced yesterday that a heavyweight slugfest between Alistair Overeem and Roy Nelson has been booked for UFC 185: Pettis vs. Dos Anjos, March 14 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Nelson (20-10, 7-6 UFC) most recently fell victim to a Mark Hunt walkoff KO last September at UFC Fight Night 52. It was just the second knockout loss in Nelson’s career. Meanwhile, Overeem (38-14 w/1 no-contest, 3-3 UFC) bounced back to the victory column with a first-round knockout of Stefan Struve last month at UFC on FOX 13. Loser gets Lesnar, maybe?

No other fights have been announced yet for UFC 185, besides the main event. We’ll let you know when that changes.

Read More DIGG THIS

Jon Jones Tests Positive for Cocaine (!!), Will Enter Drug Treatment Program [UPDATED]


(“Yeah, I thought I had a great..uh…fight and, uh…hey, does anyone want one of these cheeseburgers?” Photo via Getty.)

Official statements from the UFC, Dana White, and Daniel Cormier have been added to end of this post.

Yes, you read that headline correctly. Just days after cementing his G.O.A.T status via a dominant five-round decision over rival Daniel Cormier at UFC 182, Jon Jones has announced that he will be entering a drug treatment facility.

Why? Because, and you’re going to find this hilarious if we know your sense of humor, he actually tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the main metabolite in cocaine, in a random drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on December 4th.

Jones released a statement to Yahoo Sports earlier this evening, which can be found below.

With the support of my family, I have entered into a drug treatment facility. I want to apologize to my fiancée, my children, as well as my mother, father, and brothers for the mistake that I made. I also want to apologize to the UFC, my coaches, my sponsors and equally important to my fans. I am taking this treatment program very seriously. Therefore, at this time my family and I would appreciate privacy.

Now, you’re probably asking yourself things like, “What’s Jones’ punishment going to be?” and “Did the NSAC know that his test result was positive prior to UFC 182?” The answers are actually quite simple…

Read More DIGG THIS

Conor McGregor’s Financial Advice: Blow All Your Money, Stay Hungry [VIDEO]

Leading up to UFC Fight Night 59: McGregor vs. Whoever, the UFC is going full speed ahead on the Conor McGregor hype-train. (Count the number of times that Dennis Siver appears in this “McGregor Era” promo. Zero. The answer is zero.) And in all of their promotion, McGregor is made out to be a phenom, an uncrowned king, one of the biggest stars in the world — potentially, at least.

But this UFC Ultimate Insider segment on McGregor uses a different tactic: Presenting McGregor as a real human being. He has a sister who he used to scrap with as a child, and parents who were worried about their son giving up a stable life as a plumber to pursue cage-fighting. His mom maybe still doesn’t know what MMA is. (“Da boxin’ kind of gave him a complete different outlook,” she says.) At the 1:54 mark, Conor’s father Tony describes one of his son’s early fights against “an Eastern European guy…ex-Special Forces from Russia.” Tony can barely get through the story before he gets choked up. “That was a defining moment for me,” Tony says. “Boy become man.”

It’s a powerful moment, and it makes McGregor so much more relatable than all of his usual bluster. I also enjoyed this charming — and so utterly Irish — monologue that McGregor makes on the topic of money:

Read More DIGG THIS

Bad Sensei: Steven Seagal Being Sued for Sexual Harassment & Sexual Trafficking [UPDATE]


(Time will tell if Bones comes to Sensei Seagal’s aid like he did Bill Cosby’s.)

I don’t know if Steven Seagal is my favorite cartoon character of all time, but he definitely cracks the top 5 (somewhere between Randy Marsh and Duckman). Like all great cartoon characters, Seagal combines a dangerous lack of self-awareness with a penchant for (unintentionally) hilarious one-liners. He’s also the ultimate anti hero — an egomaniacal martial artist-cum-actor-cum-blues musician who has held the titles of both deity and Cock Puncher without once cracking under the insanity of it all. How can you not love the guy?

Well, if the recent lawsuit filed against Seagal is any indication, the answer to the that question is simple: Because he won’t allow you *not* to. (Ed note: Too soon? Too soon.)

According to The New York Daily News, the star of On Deadly Ground and perpetual guy-who-hangs-around MMA fighters is being sued to the tune of $1 million by Kayden Nguyen, a 23-year-old model claiming that what started off as a job cleaning mountains of D’Angelo’s wrappers out of Seagal’s Subaru Baja somehow devolved into something much, much more disgusting:

Nguyen says she was hired as an assistant, but then was used as a “sex toy.” Reportedly two other women have provided sworn declarations to assist in the lawsuit. Both women worked for Seagal but resigned after he made inappropriate sexual advances towards them.

Seagal’s lawyer Marty Singer characterized the accusations as “absurd” and says the actor has “no knowledge of these women.”

He continued, “The declarations were clearly prepared by Nguyen’s lawyer to be leaked to the media to help bolster his client’s meritless claims.”

Read More DIGG THIS

Report: “TUF 21: American Top Team vs. The Blackzilians” to Begin Filming Soon in South Florida


(I have a feeling that the shirtless guy with the belt is a ringer. Photo via Mike Roach/Getty)

Back in October, Sherdog’s Greg Savage passed along a rumor that the UFC was planning a season of The Ultimate Fighter that would feature competing squads from American Top Team and The Blackzilians — two camps that have made South Florida a training destination for some of MMA’s greatest talent. According to Savage, the season would air on Fight Pass.

Early this morning, MMA Fight Radio co-host Jay Pagliaro confirmed the news, citing “multiple sources from both camps.” Pagliaro indicated that the show will be filmed in South Florida, with ATT co-founder/head coach Ricardo Liborio & Blackzilians head striking coach Henri Hooft as the show’s coaches. (For the record, FrontRowBrian knew about this too.)

We’re still waiting for an official announcement from the UFC about broadcast plans for TUF 21, but a smaller-scale version of TUF airing on Fight Pass seems like a good move — especially because it won’t take any of the UFC’s biggest stars out of action for a considerable chunk of the year. We’ll update you when we know more about the cast; Junior Killer should get a spot based on his name alone.

Read More DIGG THIS

Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson III Set for UFC Fight Night 59, With Eddie Alvarez Injured


(“Hell, I was probably gonna beat someone up that weekend anyway.” / Photo via Getty)

Donald Cerrone just clinched the 2015 UFC Employee of the Year award. After literally kicking Myles Jury’s ass this weekend at UFC 182, Cerrone has agreed to face Benson Henderson 13 days from now (!?) at UFC Fight Night 59: McGregor vs. Siver, January 18th in Boston. Henderson’s original opponent Eddie Alvarez has pulled out of the fight due to injury. UFC president Dana White confirmed the switch this evening on Instagram, but didn’t provide any details on Alvarez’s condition.

Cerrone and Henderson already fought twice back in the WEC, with Henderson winning their first meeting by unanimous decision in a 2009 Fight of the Year candidate (but getting lumped up nevertheless), and Henderson finishing Cerrone with a first-round guillotine choke during their 2010 rematch. Of course, Cerrone is currently on the most impressive hot streak of his career, and has made noticeable improvements to his game as of late. On the other hand, fighting Bendo on a two-week layoff?? My God.

The fight will mark Cerrone’s seventh UFC appearance in the last 14 months. Get that money, Cowboy.

Update: MMAFighting reports that Alvarez’s withdrawal is flu-related. “Alvarez’s sickness resulted in weight loss and stopped him from training. He apparently tried to fight through it, but he felt worse on Monday and was forced to pull out of the bout.”

Read More DIGG THIS

VIDEO: CagePotato Breaks Down UFC 182′s Jones vs. Cormier Fight on TYT Sports


(Props: TYTSports on YouTube)

We have no idea why they keep inviting us do this, but once again, the good folks at TYT Sports had CagePotato’s founding editor Ben Goldstein on their show today to discuss Jon Jones‘s dominant decision win against Daniel Cormier at UFC 182, as well as Jones’s now-complete transformation into a super-heel. There aren’t many controversial things you can say about the greatest fighter in the world winning a fight, but we always have a good time hanging with the TYT crew. Check out our conversation above, and stay tuned for videos about what’s next for Jones and Cormier, and the prospect of Conor McGregor fighting Jose Aldo in an Irish soccer stadium. (Assuming he beats Dennis Siver.) (Which he will.)

Read More DIGG THIS

UFC Fight Pass Adds Pancrase and Seven Other Promotions, Still Kind of Sucks As a Digital Service


(“What was your question? Are we looking to buy the entire Internet? I mean, yeah, we’ll see what happens.”/ Photo via Getty)

UFC’s digital subscription service, Fight Pass, has its fair share of pros and cons. The cost isn’t all that damaging to the wallet, but it’s not exactly the game-changer that promotion officials thought it would be.

The network allows you to watch free UFC cards, including FOX Sports 1 events, preliminary fights, and exclusive Fight Pass broadcasts that usually take place outside of North America. It also carries an extensive UFC library, containing an abundance of full main cards from UFC, as well as Pride, WEC, EliteXC, and those two Affliction MMA cards that were surprisingly fun, among others.

After reports surfaced that hackers stole login info and credit card numbers from tens of thousands of subscribers late last month (which confirms that early security concerns were never fully addressed), fight fans were met with a better announcement, as Zuffa announced hours before UFC 182 it has acquired eight fight libraries from well-known international and regional promotions, including legendary Japanese outfit Pancrase, as well as King of The Cage, HookNShoot, TKO, Cage Rage, Extreme Challenge, UCMMA, and XFO.

UFC Chief Content Officer Marshall Zelaznik announced the news in a press conference on Saturday, revealing that over 13,000 individual bouts are slated to be added to Fight Pass this upcoming spring. The content comes from the brain of UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, who apparently made his own list of what promotions he wanted to see on the digital service (according to MMA Fighting).

Read More DIGG THIS

UFC 182 Salaries: Jon Jones Earns Waaaaaay More Than Everyone Else


(Yep, that’s gonna suck. Photo via Esther Lin/MMAFighting)

The UFC paid out $1.5 million in disclosed salaries and bonuses to the 22 fighters who competed at UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier, with light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones taking home over a third of the pie. Of course, these numbers never really tell the full story, as they don’t include pay-per-view incentives and undisclosed “locker room bonuses” that can make UFC fights much more lucrative for the headliners. Anyway, the official payout list is below via MMAJunkie. Let us know if you have any questions.

Jon Jones: $550,000 (no win bonus; includes $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus)
def. Daniel Cormier: $140,000 (includes $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus)

Donald Cerrone: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
def. Myles Jury: $16,000

Brad Tavares: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Nate Marquardt: $49,000

Kyoji Horiguchi: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Louis Gaudinot: $10,000

Read More DIGG THIS

And Now They’re Fired: Isaac Vallie-Flagg, Guto Inocente, and a Whole Heap of Others


(Photo via Getty.)

2015 is off to a rough start for a handful of UFC fighters, Potato Nation. According to a pair of tweets sent out by @FightersInfo (which have been confirmed by several of the names mentioned), the UFC has released seven more fighters from its roster and lost another to retirement. Fight Night: Dickshooter will surely suffer from this.

Let’s get to the casualties, shall we?

Isaac Vallie-Flagg: After transitioning to the UFC following the Strikeforce merger in 2012, Vallie-Flagg quickly established a reputation as one of the lightweight division’s most consistently entertaining brawlers. Unfortunately, his inconsistent at best 1-3 record inside the octagon just wasn’t doing it. Following his third straight loss to Matt Wiman at Fight Night 57 in November, Flagg announced his release from the UFC via Twitter last week, stating that “sometimes putting on a fun show isn’t enough” before seeing if his old buddy Scott Coker was in need of someone who “comes to scrap.”

Guto Inocente: Another Strikeforce veteran and one who was riding a ton of hype into the UFC until Alistair Overeem’d him in training, Inocente made his long-awaited (and long-delayed) UFC debut at the TUF 19 Finale against Derrick “The Black Beast” Lewis. It did not end well. Inocente made the cut to light heavyweight for his next bout and came in as a huge favorite against (my boy) Anthony Perosh at Fight Night 55, but the 42-year-old “Hippo” was simply too grizzled and choked him out inside four minutes.

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA