Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that the previously unannounced April 6 event we broke the news about last week will feature a main event scrap between Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren and season 5 tournament winner Douglas Lima.
“The support we have received in Canada has been nothing short of spectacular, so when we had the chance to partner with the world-renowned Caesars brand, it was an easy decision,” Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said in a release.
As we mentioned, the event, officially named as Bellator 64, will take place at Caesar’s Windsor.
Undefeated since 2009, the former MFC welterweight champ, Lima is a beast who has finished six of his last nine opponents. He knocked out UFC vet Ben Saunders in the second round of his last bout at Casino Rama in Ontario to win the tournament.
Askren showed some chinks in his armor in his last fight with Jay Hieron at Bellator 56 in October — a fight many though he lost. “Funky” took the split decision, but “The Thoroughbred” had him in trouble a few times during the bout. He’ll have to step up his game if he wants to beat a “Phenom” like Lima, who has been knocking and tapping opponents out left, right and center. Remember when Ben said he wanted to fight GSP? That was awesome.
Also expected to be on the card is former IFL and WEC standout Chris Horodecki. Some of the promotion’s other Canucks will likely see action on its May 4 card in Rama, Ontario, so there is a good chance that local Windsor and Detroit fighters will get the call to compete on the undercard to give it Bellator’s usual local flavor.
Expect to see other Canadian names like Ryan Ford, Nordine Taleb, Martin Desilets and Cory MacDonald on the card as well if they aren’t matched on the Casino Rama card.