(Saunders-Lima, via Zombie Prophet)
While every fight fan in North America turned to FOX to catch the UFC’s broadcast debut, then made their way to pay-per-view to witness boxing’s continued fall from legitimacy, the family members of Bellator’s fighters and people hoping to catch reruns of “Daria” headed over to MTV 2 for the conclusion of their Season 5 welterweight and middleweight tournaments.
Ben Saunders opened his match by trying to take Douglas Lima’s head off with a series of kicks, but when those failed to meet their mark the two fighters clinched and headed for the cage where they’d jockey for position and trade a few obligatory knees and punches. Thrice referee Yves Lavigne separated the pair only to see them return to the fence and grind the fight to a halt. With under a minute left, Lima caught a kick and slammed Saunders to the mat but was instantly swept and mounted. “Killa B” closed out the round in control and dropping a score of hard, short elbows on Lima’s skull. Saunders drove in for the clinch at the onset of round two, but yet another break by Lavigne gave Lima the space he needed to work. “The Phenom” slipped a Saunders right and countered with one of his own. That one punch would be enough. Saunders crumbled to the mat and Lima followed up with hammerfists until shoved away. Lima’s effort earned him the tournament championship, $100 G’s, and a shot at Welterweight Champion Ben Askren.
(Shlemenko-Vianna, via Zombie Prophet)
Vitor Vianna was game early on to throw down with Bellator’s Whirling Dervish of knockouts, Alexander Shlemenko, but he was ultimately outgunned by the Russian’s unorthodox arsenal. Though he showed a healthy respect for Shlemenko’s spinning attacks, Vianna stood his ground and, though out struck, found a home for his kicks and combinations in the first round. From there however Vianna’s caution grew to withdrawl; he failed to engage and counter Shlemenko, which allowed the Russian to pick his shots and dictate the exchanges. Shlemenko took the fight on all three score cards to secure the unanimous decision and earn his rematch against Bellator Middleweight champ Hector Lombard.
Full Results (via MMAJunkie.com):
• Douglas Lima def. Ben Saunders via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:21 – wins welterweight tournament
• Alexander Shlemenko def. Vitor Vianna via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27) – wins middleweight tournament
• Roger Hollett def. John Hawk via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
• Alexandre Bezerra def. Doug Evans via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 4:04
• Matt Van Buren def. Shawn Levesque via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:38
• Chris Horodecki vs. Mike Corey declared majority draw (29-28 Horodecki, 28-28, 28-28)
• Dave Jansen def. Ashkar Morvari via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 2, 2:47
• Denis Puric def. Chuck Mady via TKO (injury) – Round 2, 5:00
• Eric Moon def. Josh Shockley via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:35
• Taylor Solomon def. Mike Sledzion via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:10