(Well that’s a shame. / Photo via Anthony Mazzuca)
Tonight in Hammond, Indiana, Bellator featherweight champion Daniel Straus will make his first title-defense in a rubber-match against Pat Curran, the guy he won the title from in November. But just making weight for the fight turned into a harrowing test of Straus’s character. Expecting to come in a little over the 145-pound limit, Straus chopped his own dreads off backstage to help shed some ounces. The raggedy aftermath is what you see above.
At weigh-ins, Straus immediately stripped down and got behind a towel — and he was still a half-pound over. Luckily, Straus was able to shed the extra weight with some additional time, and tonight’s title fight will proceed as scheduled. But between Straus’s new hairstyle and the sudden removals of War Machine and Joe Riggs, the Bellator 112 poster has become one of the most outdated and inaccurate posters in MMA history. It’s a crazy world, man. Everything is subject to change.
The official Bellator 112 weigh-in results are after the jump…
- Bellator Featherweight World Title Fight: Daniel Straus (145) vs. Pat Curran (144.7)
- Bellator Welterweight Tournament Opening Round: Andrey Koreshkov (170.7) vs. Nah’ Shon Burrell (171)
- Bellator Welterweight Tournament Opening Round: Sam Oropeza (170.2) vs. Cristiano Souza (170.8)
- Bellator Welterweight Tournament Opening Round: Jesse Juarez (170.7) vs. Adam McDonough (170.5)
- Bellator Welterweight Tournament Opening Round: Nathan Coy (170.5) vs. Paul Bradley (170.8)
- Welterweight Feature Fight: A.J. Matthews (170.5) vs. Belal Muhammad (170.7)
- Catchweight Feature Fight (170 lbs*): Diego Marlon (136.6) vs. Lloyd Carter (136.1)
- Featherweight Feature Fight: Darrion Caldwell (145.7) vs. Lance Surma (146)
- Catchweight Feature Fight (170 lbs.): Derek Loffer (169) vs. Bobby Reardanz (160**)
- Catchweight Feature Fight (215lbs.): Jason Guida (213.5) vs. Anthony Gomez (214)
- Heavyweight Feature Fight: Daniel James (265) vs. Erick Correa (263.5)
* This is a typo, obviously. But that’s what Bellator sent us.
** Yeesh. Good luck, Bobby.