(Photo courtesy of Tom Casino @ ProElite)
The dust has barely settled from the EliteXC/Strikeforce event — and what an event it was. For those on the Kimbo watch, he did make a showing during the broadcast and for some reason thought he was in San Francisco. FYI, the fight was in San Jose, and Kimbo also didn’t reveal who he would be fighting on May 31st. Anywho, we all know the headlining event was a war between Frank Shamrock and the undefeated Cung Le. So in the spirit of theatrics, we’ll save the main event results until last.
Let’s get to the quick results:
– Joey Villasenor and Ryan Jensen battled in a slow stand-up fight that garnered boos from the audience due to boredom. Villasenor dropped Jensen once, but the fighter came back and rocked Joey with some shots of his own. Just before the end of round one, Villasenor ends it on a KO. Wake me up for the next fight.
– Mike Kyle fought Wayne Cole for about 42 seconds. The crazy bastard tapped out due to an armbar at that mark in the first round. Cole picked up a well-deserved submission win.
– Gilbert Melendez took on Gabe Lemley in a title fight. Gilbey rocked it in the first, which was mostly on the ground. Herb Dean stopped the fight in the second when Melendez took it to the ground and pounded the piss out of Lemley.
– Drew Fickett versus Jae Suk Lim — which was supposed to be Drew Fickett versus Jake Shields until the latter pulled something in his back — ended early in the first via a guillotine choke. The win gave Fickett another notch in his impressive 33-5 belt.
– And the big one, Shamrock vs. Le. As expected, Frank played it up for the cameras throughout and taunted Le with smiles and “come on, bitch” gestures. The fight stayed up despite a couple attempts by Frank to take it down. It was clearly Cung’s match until the third, when Frank dazed the champion kickboxer and almost ended it. The round was almost over, when Cung dazed Shamrock with a kick, but the round ended without a stoppage. However, Bill Goldberg — and I hate to credit him — spotted the swelling on Frank’s right arm during the match. It turns out, he was right. Shamrock broke his right arm and tried to fight through it, but he was unable to answer the 4th round bell. Cung Le becomes the new Strikeforce middleweight champion and had this to say at the post-fight press conference:
“I knew it…I heard the bone snap…they showed me the X-Ray after the fight and I saw it was broken in half.”
Why would they show him the x-rays? Who cares…here are the overall results (including the boring under):
– Jesse Jones over Jesse Gillespie via TKO (0:35 R1)
– Darren Uyenoyama over Anthony Figueroa guillotine choke (1:27 R1)
– Tiki Ghosn over Luke Stewart via unanimous decision
– Billy Evangelista over Marlon Sims via KO (0:49 R3)
– Joey Villasenor over Ryan Jensen via KO (4:45 R1)
– Wayne Cole over Mike Kyle via armbar (0:42 R1)
– Gilbert Melendez over Gabe Lemley via TKO (2:18 R2)
– Drew Fickett over Jae Suk Lim via guillotine choke (1:14 R1)
– Cung Le over Frank Shamrock via doctor stoppage
In related news, according to Yahoo Shamrock ended up in the hospital after his fight — and so did his wife. Amy Shamrock went into false labor during the battle and was sent to the same facility. When it turned out to be a false alarm, Frank’s knocked-up better half was sent home.
We’ll have fight vids up soon.