(Video via Fighters Only)
Earlier this week, Nick Diaz friend and teammate Gilbert Melendez (who fights Diego Sanchez this Saturday at UFC 166) offered his opinion that “I think with the right opportunity, for the right thing, [Diaz will] come out [of retirement].”
With that, the rumor ball got rolling about a possible middleweight match up between Bisping and Diaz, who has not fought since March and who has not won since 2011. Bisping is currently sidelined by a serious eye injury. Nick, of course, has thus far stayed silent on the possible matchup with Bisping and is also in the midst of his second fake retirement.
The first came after he lost a close decision to Carlos Condit and was then suspended for a failed drug test, and the second and current one came after he lost a tough decision to welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre last March. Diaz is only thirty years old but has been fighting professionally since he was a teenager and appears weary of taking part in anything short of mega-fights at this point in his career.
So, there’s really no new developments in this story yet until Nick himself comes out and…no, wait, Mike Bisping wants to tell us all something and he wants to do it while cooking steaks in his home.
In the above video, Fighters Only magazine visits with their countryman Bisping at home while the cocky Brit cooks dinner for his family. Bisping once more accepts the theoretical fight with Diaz and also talks about several other issues. Highlights after the jump.
0:05: Bisping describes some good-looking food that he begins to prepare in an accent that makes it all sound somehow disgustingly bland.
1:30: Bisping gives the camera a gross close-up look at his injured eye and then explains the details of his injury.
2:51: Bisping gives his take on the replacement fight between his originally scheduled opponent UFC Fight Night 30 opponent Mark Munoz and Lyoto Machida.
4:05: Bisping talks about Machida dropping down in weight from light heavyweight to middleweight as he himself did years ago.
4:52: Bisping gets around to the topic of Nick Diaz and his possibly moving up in weight to 185 pounds. “If that’s what he wants to do, great. I have nothing against Nick Diaz…I enjoy watching his fights.”
This unrecognizable, classy Bisping slowly makes his turn to the trash-talking, arrogant guy we’ve all come to love, and then, with either sarcasm or an astounding lack of self-awareness, says how much he hates trash talk.
“It is a terrible fight for him, great fight for me,” Bisping says of a match up with Diaz.
“I’m certainly not going to turn down a petulant child of an MMA fighter.” And, there it is.
“I’m not going for this whole trash-talk phenomenon,” says one of the most successful trash talk phenomenons in all of MMA.
7:20: Bisping gives his take on Weidman vs. Silva I and II.
What do you think, nation? Is this all just the latest in a string of Nick Diaz teases or will the Stockton warrior indeed come back to the fighting and make Bisping his first victim?