The kickboxing event GLORY 16 went down Saturday night at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colorado, and has been making headlines for two reasons. First, spin-kick artist Raymond Daniels added another spectacular knockout to his highlight reel when he nailed Francois Ambang with the “two touch” jumping back kick shown above. This one might be tough to beat in the Best Knockout of 2014 Potato Award category.
And in sadder news, UFC heavyweight veteran Pat Barry — whose return to kickboxing was supposed to rejuvenate his fight career — was brutally knocked out cold by Zack Mwekassa in the first round of their match. After the fight, there were reports floating around that Pat Barry vs. Mirko Cro Cop was booked as the headliner of GLORY’s next show on June 21st, which would be kind of insane considering that Pat has been knocked out three times in his last four fights and could probably use a little time off. Luckily, the booking appears to be an unfounded rumor at this point; we’ll update you when we know more.
GLORY 16 RESULTS
- Marc De Bonte def Karapet Karapetyan via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47)
- Zack Mwekassa def Pat Barry via KO RD 1 2:33
Heavyweight Tournament Semi-Finals
- Anderson Silva def Sergei Kharitonov via unanimous decision (29-27,29-27,29-27)
- Errol Zimmerman def. Ben Edwards via TKO RD 1 2:50
- Benjamin Adegbuyi def Daniel Sam via KO RD 2 2:59
- Artem Levin def Robert Thomas via unanimous decision (29-27,29-27,29-27)
- Jamal Ben Saddik def Nicolas Wamba via TKO RD 1 1:24
- Artem Vakhitov def Igor Jurkovic via unanimous decision (30-26,29-27,29-27)
- Raymond Daniels def Francois Ambang via KO Rd 1 1:47
- Josh Jauncey def Warren Stevelmans via unanimous decision in sudden victory RD (10-8, 10-8, 10-8)