If you’re like most people, you neglect your legs when you go to the gym, preferring to focus on your GMs. Edson Barboza is not most people. The undefeated UFC lightweight — who returns at UFC 146 against Evan Dunham on May 26th — understands that it requires intense cultivation to turn your legs into tools of destruction. Fortunately, JiuJitsuMania.com has just released a video with Barboza’s strength and conditioning coach Joe Mullings that runs down his 45-minute leg routine. Follow these seven steps, and soon you’ll achieve the “suddenness” required to do this to somebody’s face. Here we go…
1. Deep squats with IronMind belt (5 sets of 12 reps), which looks uncomfortably similar to this.
2. Single-legged step-ups (5 sets of 12 reps)
3. 30-pound medicine ball 21′s (5 sets); a “21″ set consists of seven reps in the bottom half of the range of motion, seven reps in the top half of the range of motion, then seven reps of the full exercise.
4. Resistance band sprints with jump squats (4 sets)
5. Cable pulls with lateral jumps (4 sets of 9 reps). If possible, try to ignore the chick with the big booty at the video’s 4:28 mark.
Inverted back-ups, or whatever those things are called Back extensions! (4 sets of 12 reps)
7. Hanging stretch to finish