While most of you are waiting on a concrete announcement for the main event of UFC on Fuel TV in Sweden 2: Mousasi vs Quick, Somebody Find Me a Viking, you maybe should be talking about this stacked card of fights going down right smack in the middle of the US of A. Featuring a handful of past and present champs, a double main event of championship fights, and the return of Cris Cyborg, Invicta’s fifth show looks like can’t-miss entertainment.
Invicta’s production values have been a consistent strong point, and this latest preview video from Esther Lin and E. Casey Leydon is no exception. It’s beautiful work, and does a fantastic job setting up Friday night’s main event, between Invicta’s Atomweight (105) Champion Jessica Penne and challenger Michelle Waterson.
- Some of you may remember Jessica Penne from an interview we did with her in August 2010 (I haven’t asked, but I’m pretty sure Penne still hates you assholes), but this is not the same fighter. She looks about ten pounds stronger and ten pounds lighter at the same time.
- In general, there’s a decent amount of footage of Penne beastin’ all over the gym.
- Check out Mark Munoz being all proud.
- While talking about fitting in at the Jackson-Winklejohn camp, Michelle Waterson lets slip that Jackson calls her “peanut”. Awwwwwwww.
- Jon Jones says after a long day of working out, sometimes he likes to cool down and watch the Karate Hottie kick it like Tae Bo. Then he mumbles something about stealing techniques, like that makes it any better.
- There’s also a fair amount of footage of Waterson beastin’ all over the gym, including beating the absolute dogshit out of 125er Tara LaRosa. Sarah Kaufmann also vouches for Waterson’s power, in her polite Canadian manner.
- Waterson compares working through adversity in a fight with dealing with contractions during labor. Like you hear from EVERY FIGHTER EVER, GAH, think up new analogies, geez.
Backing up the Penne-Waterson title scrap, Vanessa Porto and Barb Honchak will vie for the Strawweight Championship, Cris Cyborg faces a scary Australian lady (after her original opponent, Scary Brazilian Lady, was injured), and Sarah Kaufman and Leslie Smith are primed for a knockdown-dragout affair. PLUS: Zoila Frausto-Gurgel, Kaitlin Young, Bec Hyatt, Jessamyn Duke, friend of the Tater Cassie Rodish, and of course Her Thuggishness, Rose Namajunas.
I’m going. Who’s coming with me?