Let’s start with the good news: Marloes Coenen, Cris Cyborg, Rose Namajunas, and every other Invicta FC 6 main-card fighter successfully made weight today at the Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. The only slight hiccup was when Jessica Penne initially weighed in at 106.1 for her atomweight bout against Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc. Penne was able to shave off that last tenth-pound without issue.
The prelims, however, were a friggin’ nightmare. We’ll go from most crazy to least crazy:
- Featherweight knockout-machine Veronica Rothenhausler has been pulled from the event after being declared medically unfit to compete. According to reports on the scene, Rothenhausler passed out due to a bad weight cut and had to be hospitalized. Needless to say, her fight against Mollie Estes was canceled. Get well soon, Veronica.
- Former strawweight Livia Von Plettenberg’s attempt to drop down to atomweight was botched to a Anthony Johnson-esque degree. Von Plettenberg weighed in at 113 pounds for her 105-pound contest against Cassie Robb, and since there was no way she’d be able to drop seven pounds on short notice, that fight has been removed from the card as well. Cripes. Will Invicta have to pull random women from the crowd in order to fill out the lineup? Because I’d totally watch that. UPDATE: Kathina “Kill Switch” Catron has stepped in on a day’s notice to fight Von Plettenberg at 125 pounds.
- Ediane Gomes was originally scheduled to face Tamikka Brents at a catchweight of 150 pounds, after Brents took the fight on three days’ notice as an injury replacement for Charmaine Tweet. Brents showed up today weighing 155.1 pounds. Invicta and Gomes threw their hands up and decided that the fight would still proceed at lightweight.
- Ashley Cummins and Emily Kagan actually hit the strawweight limit. Yes, both of them. Amazing.
Full Invicta FC 6 weigh-in results are below, via MMAJunkie…
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 9 p.m. ET)
Marloes Coenen (145) vs. Cristiane Santos (144.9) – for inaugural featherweight title
Claudia Gadelha (114.5) vs. Ayaka Hamasaki (115.3)
Sarah D’alelio (134.8) vs. Lauren Taylor (134.8)
Jennifer Maia (124.6) vs. Leslie Smith (125.1)
Jessica Penne (106.) vs. Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc (105.7)@
Joanne Calderwood (115.7) vs. Norma Rueda Center (115.8)
Bec Hyatt (115.5) vs. Mizuki Inoue (113.3)
Miriam Nakamoto (135.5) vs. Duda Yankovich (134.7)
Rose Namajunas (114.7) vs. Tecia Torres (115.6)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Ustream, 7 p.m. ET)
Tamikka Brents (155.1) vs. Ediane Gomes (149)*
Ashley Cummins (115.9) vs. Emily Kagan (115.3)
Mollie Estes (144.7) vs. Veronica Rothenhausler ()**
Cassie Robb (105.8) vs. Livia Von Plettenberg (113)***
* Fight will proceed at lightweight.
** Fight canceled due to Rothenhausler being medically ineligible to compete.
*** Fight canceled due to Von Plettenberg being unable to make weight. Von Plettenberg will now face Kathina Catron in a flyweight bout.
BONUS PIC: Thug Rose at the weigh-ins, shot by Esther Lin. I got chills. Click for full-size version.