(Koscheck doesn’t like curly blonde wigs for the same reason that Jon Jones doesn’t like fake UFC belts. It’s like, bro, you didn’t put in the work, okay? / Photo via Sherdog)
You can’t keep a good man down — or a bad one, either. Coming off his split-decision loss to Johny Hendricks in May, welterweight contender Josh Koscheck will try to bounce back against Jake Ellenberger in the co-main event of UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson, September 1st in Las Vegas. Ellenberger is also coming off a defeat — his leave-from-ahead* knockout loss to Martin Kampmann at the TUF 15 Finale — which followed a six-fight win streak, including victories over Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez. So which top 170-pounder is going to wake up the next morning with two straight losses?
- TUF 12 finalist Michael Johnson — who most recently gave TUF 13 winner Tony Ferguson his first loss in the UFC — will face Danny “Last Call” Castillo, who’s riding a three-fight win streak in the Octagon.
- Dennis Siver and Eddie Yagin have signed for a meeting in the featherweight division. Siver won a unanimous decision over Diego Nunes in his 145-pound debut in April, while Yagin is coming off of his massive upset of Mark Hominick at UFC 145.
- Takeya Mizugaki and Jeff Hougland will try to rebound from their recent losses (and improve their .500 UFC records) in a bantamweight contest.
- A lightweight bout between Dennis Hallman and Thiago Tavares has been moved to this card from UFC 150.
* The opposite of “come-from-behind,” obviously. But yeah, we need a better phrase for that.