(Zaromskis vs. High. Props to MMA Linker.)
We should have known there would be trouble after Hayato "Mach" Sakurai needed seven and a half extra hours to make weight for today’s DREAM’s welterweight GP finals. The tournament favorite might have been fighting through exhaustion when he met Marius Zaromskis in the semis, in a bout marked by wild striking exchanges. Sakurai absorbed the more damaging blows, and the fight was halted about four minutes in so that doctors could check on a spurting gash under Mach’s left eye. When it was finally restarted after a long break, Zaromskis measured up Sakurai then threw a high left kick that put his lights out. A few more punches on the ground, and it was game over.
On the other side of the bracket, Jason High scored an upset of his own, handing jiu-jitsu juggernaut Andre Galvao his first MMA loss in a very close decision fight; one judge gave it to Galvao for his submission attempts in the first round, while the other two saw it for High due to his superior striking in the second. But the thrill of victory wouldn’t last long for High, as Zaromskis scored another head kick knockout — this time with the right leg — in their finals match.
In non-tournament action, Shinya Aoki outpointed Vitor Ribeiro in a disappointingly dull 15-minute bout, Dong Sik Yoon had to quit just a minute into his fight against Jesse Taylor after suffering a foot injury, and Paulo Filho survived a brutal striking assault from Melvin Manhoef and won the fight via armbar in what might be the leading contender for comeback fight of 2009. Complete results and more DREAM.10 fight videos are after the jump.
– Marius Zaromskis def. Jason High via KO, 2:21 of round 1
– Shinya Aoki def. Vitor Ribeiro via unanimous decision
– Jesse Taylor def. Dong Sik Yoon via TKO (foot injury), 1:01 of round 1
– Paulo Filho def. Melvin Manhoef via submission (armbar), 2:36 of round 1
– Katsunori Kikuno def. Andre Amade via TKO, 3:47 of round 1
– Jason High def. Andre Galvao via split decision
– Marius Zaromskis def. Hayato Sakurai via TKO, 4:03 of round 1
– Tarec Saffiedine def. Seichi Ikemoto via unanimous decision
(Zaromskis vs. Sakurai)
(High vs. Galvao)
(Taylor vs. Yoon)
(Filho vs. Manhoef.)
(Aoki vs. Ribeiro)