Donald Cerrone‘s appearance at UFC on FOX 10 on Saturday night couldn’t have gone any better: He destroyed Adriano Martins in the first round of their main card fight, picked up another $50,000 Knockout of the Night bonus for his efforts — which is already gone like a fart in the wind, unfortunately — and got a chance to publicly respond to Cole Miller’s semi-awkward challenge of him earlier this month. Here’s what Cerrone said at the “Henderson vs. Thomson” post-fight press conference:
“Cole Miller is a turd the UFC hasn’t flushed yet,” said Cerrone. “I think the UFC is totally against me going to 145 [pounds]. I couldn’t drink delicious, full-bodied Budweisers, so that would be a lifestyle change. I don’t know if I’m committed to that. Cole Miller, win some fights and then come see me. You’re at the ass-end of a long line of people. We’ll see.”
That right there is a solid early front-runner for Press Conference Diss of the Year. But look, nobody really cares about two guys from different weight classes squabbling with each other over some old, petty bullshit. What’s important is Cerrone’s future in the lightweight division now that he has a win streak going again. And as it turns out, Donald has some ambitious plans for 2014…
“I want to set a record for the most fights in a year,” Cerrone said at the post-fight press conference. “Could I get six? That would be f—ing great. I think [fighting next in] Baltimore or Dallas would be great. There are fighters out there saying they can’t get fights. Hey, I’m your guy.”
Without calling him out by name, Cerrone seems to be indirectly referring to undefeated Dagestani crusher Khabib Nurmagomedov, who’s had well-publicized troubles finding an opponent lately. (It’s not that anybody’s scared of him. There are just some issues with timing and mysterious “conditions” that the UFC won’t accept, okay?) Cowboy vs. Khabib sounds like a matchup that could benefit both fighters at this point. You down to see that one, or do you have any better ideas for Cerrone’s next opponent?