Kamal Shalorus has had a difficult time making the leap from the WEC to the UFC. After putting together a 3-0-1 record in the now deceased promotion, “The Prince of Persia” has dropped two straight — a first round TKO to top contender Jim Miller at UFC 128 and a third round submission at the hands of newcomer Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller. In what his final shot under the Zuffa banner, Shalorus will not be given an easy victory, as he has been booked to take on Rafael Dos Anjos at UFC on FUEL 3, which goes down on May 15 from the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Virginia.
Dos Anjos, on the other hand, sandwiched the above KO over G-Sots between a pair of losses to Clay Guida (via submission due to jaw injury) and the Anthony Johnson of the lightweight division, Gleison Tibau (by SD).
Also booked for Fairfax…
Following a seven year absence from the octagon that saw him go 19-6, Jeff “The Big Frog” Curran returned to the UFC last October at UFC 137. It was less than successful, as he dropped a unanimous decision to Scott Jorgensen in a match that was forgotten about before it was even over. For his next fight, Curran will be taking a significant step down in competition when he faces Johnny Eduardo in a bantamweight contest. Eduardo, a 25-9 product out of Nova Uniao, came up short in his UFC debut in August, where he was out grappled by Raphael Assuncao en route to a unanimous decision loss.
Finally, lightweights T.J Grant and Carlo Prater are set to throw down on the UFC on FUEL 3 undercard as well. You remember Carlo Prater, don’t you? He was the guy who took the road less traveled to victory at UFC 142, upsetting Erick Silva by way of superior positioning to allow illegal punches to the back of his head. It’s called strategery, Potato Nation.
Anyway, check out the full lineup for UFC on FUEL 3 below. I DEFY YOU to name the website I copy/pasted it from.
- Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung
- Light Heavyweight bout: Thiago Silva vs. Igor Pokrajac
- Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Lightweight bout: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Kamal Shalorus
- Lightweight bout: TJ Grant vs. Carlo Prater
- Middleweight bout: Tom Lawlor vs. Jason MacDonald
- Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Jorge Lopez
- Lightweight bout: Cody McKenzie vs. Aaron Riley
- Middleweight bout: Brad Tavares vs. Dongi Yang
- Bantamweight bout: Yves Jabouin vs. Mike Easton
- Bantamweight bout: Jeff Curran vs. Johnny Eduardo
- Bantamweight bout: Alex Soto vs. Azamat Gashimov