(The Strikeforce Police will be a fixture at every event Nick Diaz is at)
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker says that if a brawl erupts during the weigh-ins or main event bout of this Saturday’s event, the promotion will shoulder the blame this time around for not having the proper preventative measures in place.
Coker appeared yesterday on MMAFighting’s The MMA Hour and told host, Ariel Helwani that there will be plenty of precautions to ensure Nick Diaz and KJ Noons’ camps don’t throw down before or after their scheduled fight this weekend.
"I’ll tell you what – if we leave those two guys in a room alone, I think you know what’s going to happen," Coker said. "So it’s up to us – we’re going to have a wall of security there. We’ve brought extra police to handle the weigh-ins, the press conference and pretty much a wall of people will be there for the night of the fight. We have to take precautionary measures because these guys have this big feud – and it’s not just them, it’s their camps. We’re going to make sure that we host it properly, and part of that is adding extra security and police officers, and it’ll be fine."
Coker conceded that simply telling Diaz not to do anything stupid likely won’t be enough considering they told him to be on a conference call last week, which he no-showed for.
"It’s a little frustrating because this is not just good for us, it’s good for Nick," Coker said. "But Nick is Nick, and it’s part of the mystique about him – he’s the bad boy of MMA. It is what it is, and in the future maybe we’ll handle it a little bit differently."
How? Tell him that his medicinal marijuana card renewal is dependant on whether or not he participates in the call?