MMA Weekly has just added a fight between Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Kazuhiro Nakamura to its UFC 84 rumors page. Nakamura is an 11-7 PRIDE vet who lost a unanimous decision to Lyoto Machida during his Octagon debut at UFC 76 last September; he holds wins over Kevin Randleman, Murilo Bustamante, and Igor Vovchanchyn. If the match holds up, UFC 84 — slated to be held May 24th in Las Vegas — would be a memorably badass night. Here’s what the main card currently looks like:
- B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk (confirmed; for lightweight championship)
- Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida (confirmed; will likely be Ortiz’s last fight in the UFC)
- Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine (confirmed)
- Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva (likely)
- Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (rumored)
That’s more light-heavyweight action than we can handle. Theoretically, one of UFC 84′s lower-profile fights — Wilson Gouveia vs. Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry have also been scheduled — could be swapped in for Evans/Silva or Sokoudjou/Nakamura on the main card. It would blow if the UFC sacrificed big names for variety, but we wouldn’t put it past them.