Steroids in MMA
Which MMA Fighter Will Test Positive For Steroids Next?

Tag: Anthony Pettis

Jeff Curran Pulls Out of Fight with Sergio Pettis – Earns Dog Owner of the Year Honors

(“In the arms of the angel, flyyy awaaayyyyy from here…” | Jeff Curran Twitter)

WEC and UFC veteran Jeff Curran once fought at 155 pounds, but these days the thirty five year-old is campaigning at 125 pounds in an effort to give some new fire to his career. He looked serious about his effort to get back into the big show when he signed to fight top prospect Sergio Pettis at RFA 8 this past Friday in Milwaukee, WI.

Pettis is undefeated and nineteen years old. He’s also the younger brother of top UFC moneyweight contender Anthony Pettis. You may have heard that Pettis won Friday night, but not against Curran. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt pulled out at the last minute and was replaced by Dillard Pegg.

Pettis finished Pegg with apparent ease in the first round, but the real story here is the reason why Curran says he pulled out of the fight in the first place.

Curran didn’t get injured. His dog did.


Anthony Pettis Out Six Weeks With Torn Meniscus, Ben Henderson Conspiracy Theory Officially Debunked

(A visibly ecstatic Grant reacts to the news.) 

Good news, Potato Nation, we can all officially put to rest the theory that Anthony Pettis was faking an injury to steal T.J. Grant’s title shot against Ben Henderson. After news detailing the extent of Pettis’ injury was first passed along by, Dana White recently confirmed with MMAFighting that “Showtime” will be looking at a six week layoff as a result of the knee injury that forced him out of his UFC 163 title fight with Jose Aldo. Unfortunately for us fans, our insatiable need to watch bubble-wrapped Brazilians get the living shit kicked out of them will have to be put on hold for the time being. *pushes school books off desk*

Pettis met with a UFC-approved doctor in Las Vegas who informed him that his torn meniscus injury will require him to sit out for six weeks, UFC president Dana White confirmed the news to after first reported it. Pettis originally believed he would return to full-strength in half that time.

The good news for Pettis is that he does not require surgery to fix his injured knee.

So there you have it. Pettis is out, Zombie and Grant are still in, and poor Ricardo Lamas continues to regret denying that Gypsy an extension on her mortgage payment.

-J. Jones


UFC Conspiracy Theory of the Day: Anthony Pettis Is Going to Steal TJ Grant’s Title Shot

(And that “Showtime Kick”? As fake as the moon landing. / Photo via MMAWeekly)

As we’ve already discussed, the upcoming UFC 164 lightweight title fight between Benson Henderson and TJ Grant isn’t exactly capturing the hearts and minds of MMA fans, and could potentially tank on pay-per-view. (Which wouldn’t be the first time that Bendo has tanked on PPV.) So when Anthony Pettis went down with a knee injury last week, knocking him out of his UFC 163 featherweight title fight against Jose Aldo, some of the more paranoid fans among us began buzzing: Is this just a ploy to line-jump Pettis into a much more compelling/lucrative fight against Henderson? The two men have some history, after all.

At first we dismissed this theory as lunatic ravings from the same people who would tell you that Luke Rockhold signaled that he was ready to take a dive against Vitor Belfort, or that Chael Sonnen bangs his desk to signify that he’s ready for his close-up. Would Pettis really fake an injury — or would the UFC invent one — in order to screw over TJ Grant and cash in with a bigger fight? Come on, that’s absurd. At least we thought so until we read this:

“I can be 100% ready to fight Benson Henderson in Milwaukee,” said Pettis to Fuel TV. “With all due respect to T.J. Grant, Milwaukee is my town, and the fight with Ben is the fight everyone has wanted for years.”

For the record, UFC president Dana White claims that Pettis’s knee won’t be ready in time for UFC 164 on August 31st, but obviously he’s just trying to keep the public from catching on to his dastardly plot, and TJ Grant will be faking his own injury sometime within the next couple weeks. Allegedly.

But seriously, here’s what Grant had to say about the situation…


Anthony Pettis Out of UFC 163 With Knee Injury; ‘Korean Zombie’ to Replace Him Against Jose Aldo

(Replace the number ’162′ with ’163′, and this promo is still pretty damn relevant. / Props: TheSuperactiontv)

Anthony Pettis‘s divisional line-cutting has apparently angered the vengeful MMA Gods, who have struck down the crowd-pleasing striker with a knee injury. UFC president Dana White just confirmed the bad news, saying that Pettis is officially out of his scheduled featherweight title fight against Jose Aldo, which was slated to go down at UFC 163, August 3rd at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. Pettis described the injury as a “small tear in my meniscus,” but didn’t give a specific timetable on his return.

So that’s the bad news. The good news is, Pettis has already been replaced by a title-challenger who’s actually earned a crack at the 145-pound belt: Chan Sung Jung, better known to us Westerners as “The Korean Zombie.” Jung was originally scheduled to face Ricardo Lamas in a likely #1 contender bout at UFC 162 next month, but has now been fast-tracked to a title fight in order to rescue the UFC 163 main event.

“TKZ” is 3-0 in the UFC, with incredible stoppage victories against Leonard Garcia (via twister submission), Mark Hominick (via seven-second KO), and Dustin Poirier (via d’arce choke, in a Fight of the Year candidate last May).

So who’s your pick in Aldo vs. Zombie? And is this a more interesting matchup to you than Aldo vs. Pettis?


Anthony Pettis Kicking the Sh*t Out of These Brazilian ‘Jackass’-Wannabes Is Guaranteed to Make You Smile [VIDEO]

(Props: lafenixtv)

Whenever MMA fighters do a media segment where they’re supposed to beat up the host, they usually hold back a bit to avoid a lawsuit. (Unless we’re talking about Alistair Overeem sparring with a female reporter. Then, it’s…well, you know.) So it’s pretty damn hilarious to see UFC featherweight title contender Anthony Pettis going close to 100% on the stunt-comedy team La Fenix, as he does in the video above. We’ve tabbed out the highlights for your convenience…

0:00-0:20: The fat guy on the left. I can’t look away.
1:05: Bro in the hat and shades gets kicked in the ass. Hard.
1:15: Victim #2 explains that it’s his dream to get punched in the face. Anthony punches him in the face. Real hard. When the victim regains his senses, he says, “Jose Aldo, you are so fucked up.” Oh boy. That’s grounds for a treason charge in Brazil.
1:52: We see that the fat guy has a lazy eye and braces. He gets kicked in the belly…twice. Jesus, man. This wasn’t part of the deal.
3:25: Pettis jams a turning side-kick into a guy rolled up in bubble-wrap.
3:52: Pettis starts to beat the ever-loving shit out of the guy rolled up in bubble-wrap.
4:06: For a moment, I begin to feel bad for the guy rolled up in bubble-wrap.
4:27: This beating is still going on? Unbelievable.
5:08: The moment you’ve all been waiting for — the Showtime Kick.
5:59: “Holy sheetzch.”


Confusing Quote of the Day: Anthony Pettis Says His Drop to Featherweight is “Only Temporary”

(Also temporary? Pettis’ time as a Cake Boss Intern.) 

It is no understatement to say that the upcoming featherweight title fight between Anthony Pettis and Jose Aldo has divided, confused, and outright angered many fans of the sport. It’s a fight that is all but guaranteed to wind up on your best-of-the-year list, sure, but it’s also Pettis’ first fight at featherweight, as well as Aldo’s second straight title defense against a guy who built his reputation in an entirely different weight class. It’s at this point that we’d normally reference Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones, the baffling randomness at which title shots are being handed out, the fragility of human life, etc. But we’re tired, you guys. Damn tired…*cries into shot glass* *drinks own tears*

And now, adding to the confusion is none other than Pettis himself, who recently stated in an interview with The NY Post that his drop to featherweight “isn’t permanent.” Uh….the fuck?

A lot of things led to my cutting down to 145. I was tired of waiting for a 155 pound title shot. 

It’s not a permanent weight cut (to featherweight). But a striker like myself and Aldo, it doesn’t really matter what weight class it happens at. It’s going to be fireworks either way. 


Headlining an Event in Your UFC Debut: The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly

(Money. Girls. Fame. Private locker rooms that you don’t have to share with old men washing their balls. A win for Ilir on Saturday would be truly life-changing. / Photo via LoveStrandell)

First-time UFC jitters are bad enough when you’re curtain-jerking on the prelims. Can you imagine what it would be like to go from relative obscurity to UFC headliner? Well, Ilir Latifi is about to find out this Saturday, God bless him. Come to think of it, his UFC on FUEL 9 opponent Gegard Mousasi is technically in the same situation, although at least the Dreamcatcher has had the benefit of previously competing in major promotions like Strikeforce, DREAM, and PRIDE.

Latifi is a long shot in every sense of the word, but of course this is a sport where anything can happen. Plenty of fighters have found themselves at the top of the lineup for their first UFC fight and made the most of it. Others have crashed and burned in horrific fashion. So which camps will Latifi and Mousasi fall into? Read on for a brief history lesson, and let us know what you think…

The Good

- Anderson Silva. In one of the most stunning UFC debuts, period, the up-and-coming Brazilian striker stepped into Chris Leben‘s world in the main event of Ultimate Fight Night 5 in June 2006 and scored a flawless victory over the southpaw slugger, dramatically altering the course of history in the UFC middleweight division. Silva was granted an immediate title shot and hasn’t lost a fight since.

- Alistair Overeem. Watching the Reem tear Brock Lesnar apart at UFC 141 validated everyone who ever thought that Lesnar was a pro-wrestling fraud, and that Overeem was the future of the heavyweight division. It hasn’t exactly worked out like that, but at the time, it looked like we were entering a new era.


Update: Aldo vs. Pettis to Serve as Main Event of UFC 163 in Brazil [UH-DUH!]

(The loyalty of your fellow Brazilians doesn’t mean shit when you’ve grabbed the last Giga Pet off the shelf on Black Friday. Photo courtesy of Getty Images.)

Well alright, alright, alright, it looks like the UFC will be returning to the motherland yet again in 2013.

After initially refusing to fight lightweight contender Anthony Pettis, then requesting that the fight be held at a catchweight (sound familiar, Andy?), it was announced a couple weeks ago that featherweight champion Jose Aldo would in fact be fighting Pettis for the featherweight title at an event and location TBD. If Aldo was victorious, however, he would receive the next shot at the winner of the Ben Henderson/Gil Melendez lightweight title fight on April 20th. Brazilians, man. They treat their belts like Sauron’s Ring.

In either case, it is being passed around that both an event and location have been named for the upcoming “superfight,” which is apparently what we’re calling it now: UFC 163, at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Because of course Brazil.

No other fights have been announced for the event, but it might interest you to know that Aldo is currently resting at a very modest -155 favorite over Pettis at 5Dimes. So, do whatever you want with that bit of info.

So…how about this new pope business?

-J. Jones


Update: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis Official, Aldo Will Receive a Lightweight Title Shot With Win

(Fan-made poster via

Since we first wrote about Jose Aldo‘s refusal to fight Anthony Pettis, the UFC featherweight champion has changed his mind about the matchup — twice, actually. First, Aldo said that he would fight Pettis, but only in a non-title fight:

Who deserves a chance in the first place, is Ricardo Lamas, because he has beaten Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He earned the chance after the victory,” said Aldo in an interview with TATAME. “Cub Swanson is another too. They are athletes in the division, struggling for a long time for a shot at the belt, which never arrives according to opponents the UFC is scheduling. If the UFC wants a superfight, I do not see any problem. I fight whoever, but the belt has to be against Lamas or Swanson.”

They created a ranking that is not serving for anything, because they’re pulling people from other divisions. This is only happening on my weight, I see it nowhere else,” Aldo continued, pointing to the UFC’s recent decision to create an official system of sorting their fighters out. “It is an injustice to others.”

Bro, don’t even get us started on the useless goddamned rankings; at least the featherweight champion is concerned about the legitimacy of his division. But there was another twist to this story yesterday — Aldo finally agreed to put his 145-pound title on the line against Pettis at the original August 3rd date, once he was offered an interesting incentive:


Jose Aldo Is Now ‘Absolutely Refusing’ Anthony Pettis Fight; UFC President Threatens Consequences If Aldo Doesn’t Go Through With It

(Photo via Gary A. Vasquez/USA TODAY Sports)

If there’s one thing that makes Dana White‘s head spin — besides Meniere’s Disease, obviously — it’s UFC champions who turn down fights. So you can imagine how he felt when Jose Aldo‘s manager recently approached the UFC president to explain that his client didn’t want to fight Anthony Pettis after all. The Aldo vs. Pettis featherweight title fight had already been confirmed earlier this month, and is scheduled to go down on August 3rd. Here’s Dana explaining the situation to media following UFC 157:

“Jose Aldo came out and said, ‘There’s no way in hell I’m fighting Pettis. He’s absolutely refusing to fight Pettis — doesn’t think he deserves the shot.

“Andre Pederneiras was in England and he sat down with me and Lorenzo (Fertitta) and was like, ‘We don’t think he deserves it.’ “What do you mean you don’t think he deserves it? ‘Well, he might be the No. 1 guy at 155, but how does that make him the No. 1 guy (at 145)?’ Are you out of your f—ing mind? Are you serious? Did you seriously just ask me that question? It’s like if Aldo wanted to move up to 155, are we going to say he’s not the No. 1 contender? What are you talking about?…