sloths funny photos album covers
Iconic Album Covers Replaced With Sloths

Tag: assault

Thiago Silva Beats Aggravated Assault Case, Because His Ex-Wife Has Left the Country


(Deal with it. / Photo via Getty)

In a victory for bad guys everywhere, former UFC light-heavyweight Thiago Silva has been officially cleared of all charges related to an alleged spree of mayhem in January and February of this year. Silva had been accused of sticking a gun in his ex-wife Thaysa’s mouth and threatening to kill her, sending her bonus death-threats via text message, then driving over to Pablo Popovitch’s gym and threatening to shoot up the place. He was eventually charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence.

Luckily — for Silva, not for society — a Florida judge dropped all the charges:

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with a Broward County State Attorney’s office representative following an initial report from TMZ. The representative said that the charges were likely dropped because the alleged victim had become uncooperative and investigators had determined that she had likely moved out of the country.

Read More DIGG THIS

WEC/UFC Veteran Josh Grispi Charged For Horrific Assault Against Wife


(Photo via Getty)

Well, this is disturbing. According to a report by Wicked Local, former WEC/UFC fighter contender Josh “The Fluke” Grispi has been arrested and charged in a particularly heinous domestic abuse case, which included two separate assaults against his wife over a four day span and a trained pitbull attack. No joke, this sick f*cker brought an animal into the equation. Read on, if you can.

“It’s the worst case of domestic abuse I’ve ever seen,” police officer Richard Harvey said.

Harvey said the victim, Kaitlin Grispi, was mauled by Grispi’s pit bull, which had been trained to attack her. She was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, but was later released and has been reunited with her two young children.

Grispi is charged with two counts of assault and battery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of violating a restraining order, animal cruelty, malicious damage to a motor vehicle, drug possession to cultivate marijuana and improper storage of a large capacity firearm and rifle or shotgun near a child.

Read More DIGG THIS

Thiago Silva Released From Jail on $25,000 Bond, Awaits Aggravated Assault Trial


(Props: Local10.com)

A month after he was arrested for allegedly holding his ex-wife Thaysa at gunpoint and making death threats outside of Pablo Popovitch’s gym in Fort Lauderdale, UFC light-heavyweight veteran Thiago Silva is a temporarily-free man again. On Friday, a judge granted Silva’s release on a $25,000 bond following a hearing in Broward County, Florida — despite prosecutors’ claims that Silva’s status as a Brazilian national makes him a flight risk, and Thaysa’s testimony that Thiago would kill her if he was freed.

Silva currently faces charges of aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence. His next court appearance will reportedly take place next week. In the meantime, Silva must wear an electronic monitoring device, complete an anger management program, submit to random drug and alcohol testing, and (this goes without saying) stay away from Thaysa and Popovitch. In addition, Silva was forced to surrender his passport and must stay out of Broward County.

According to this Local10 report, Silva had dozens of friends and MMA fighters supporting him at Friday’s hearing, including Rashad Evans. In a salacious twist, Pablo Popovitch’s wife Fabianna gave testimony, stating that Thaysa “destroyed my life and my kids’ family” by “sleeping with my husband.” We’ll keep you posted when we have more details about Thiago Silva’s upcoming trial.

Read More DIGG THIS

‘TUF 11′ Castmember Kyacey Uscola Convicted of Domestic Violence Charges, Faces Up to 13 Years in Prison


(Never trust an MMA fighter without tattoos. / Photo via Getty)

Middleweight journeyman Kyacey “Ice Cold” Uscola has been convicted of domestic violence charges stemming from a brutal attack on the mother of his child on June 15th, 2013. According to Sacramento news outlet news10.net, a Sacramento Superior Court found the 32-year-old Uscola guilty of battery on a spouse or cohabitant, battery with serious bodily injury, and corporal injury on a cohabitant.

As news10.net reports, Sacramento D.A. spokesperson Shelly Orio said “the victim suffered a life-threatening laceration to her pancreas, eight broken ribs, a punctured lung, an orbital fracture and two lumbar fractures.” Uscola’s sentencing is scheduled for February 14th, and he faces the possibility of up to 13 years in prison.

The report describes Uscola as a “rising star in the MMA world,” which couldn’t be further from the truth. Perhaps best known for his unsuccessful stint on TUF 11 — during which he almost got his dick bitten off by a pitbull (long story) — Uscola has lost eight straight fights since November 2010. His professional record stands at 21-24, and he’s never won more than three fights in a row.

News10.net interviewed Sacramento’s own Urijah Faber, who tried to set Uscola on the right track several years ago, until a 2011 domestic violence incident derailed their working relationship:

Read More DIGG THIS

On This Day in MMA History: War Machine Ruins a Porn Star’s Birthday Party


(Photo via emmreport.com, obviously.)

On This Day in MMA History” pays tribute to some of the more bizarre and infamous news stories of MMA’s past. The fiasco described below took place on November 28th, 2009, exactly four years ago today; the following post was published two days later. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

*********

So did you guys do anything crazy this weekend? Like, maybe beat the shit out of half the guest-list at a porn star’s birthday party? No? Well, you’ll never believe this, but that’s exactly what MMA tabloid hero War Machine did on Saturday night. Multiple reports are coming in, so we’ll try to piece this together from what we have…

— On Saturday night, Machine heads out to a b-day party for adult film actress Brooke Haven, held at a porn studio in Van Nuys. He appears to be in good spirits, though he was reportedly pissed off that his agent, Derek Hay (aka “Ben English”), wasn’t getting him enough work.

— Things quickly turn south when War allegedly punches his girlfriend, Alanah Rae, then drags her outside. This part of the story is hazy because although Terez Owens reports that Rae personally confirmed with him that War Machine decked her, she later went on Twitter to deny it. Still, there seems to be no difference in opinion over what happened next…

Read More DIGG THIS

Aleksander Emelianenko Detained by Police After Allegedly Beating a Man at a Moscow Cafe [UPDATED]


(I must bake you.”)

In terms of extra-curricular violence, Aleksander Emelianenko has become the War Machine of Russia. The veteran heavyweight slugger was previously arrested following a bar-fight incident in 2007, and was fired by M-1 Global after he scuffled with flight attendants and passengers on an airplane last year. (“He then broke the nose of an airport employee and started a brawl in the hotel restaurant where a wedding was taking place.” LOL, classic Aleks.)

Emelianenko’s latest legal snafu took place yesterday in Moscow, where the Grim Reaper allegedly beat up a civilian in public. Ria Novosti has the details:

Russian police have detained mixed martial arts star Alexander Emelianenko on suspicion of beating up a man in a Moscow cafe, an official said Thursday.

The victim was hospitalized with serious injuries, police said, after a dispute Wednesday in a cafe in southeastern Moscow. A hunt was launched for the 31-year-old fighter, who was subsequently taken in for questioning, police said.

Speaking Thursday, Emelianenko’s lawyer denied the allegations. “There was no assault, there was just a conflict that ended in a fight,” he said.

Read More DIGG THIS

Donald Cerrone Slapped With Misdemeanor Assault Charge for ‘Boat Rage’ Incident


(Cowboy, on a boat, in happier times.)

CagePotato.com has confirmed that UFC lightweight contender Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone was charged with Third Degree Assault, following an alleged physical altercation in Grand County, Colorado on June 29th. According to a statement released to CagePotato by the Grand County Colorado Sheriff’s Department:

Donald A. Cerrone, 30 years of age, has been charged with Third Degree Assault by a summons to court, and it is a Class One Misdemeanor. There is no warrant for him at this time. Mr. Cerrone and another person, Jeffrey S. Aley, were involved in a boating rage incident (similar to road rage but by use of boats) on Lake Granby. The incident escalated to the point where Mr. Cerrone assaulted Mr. Aley. Mr. Aley was also charged with Reckless Operation of a boat and Reckless Endangerment, a Class Three Misdemeanor. The case is still ongoing, and has not been concluded in court.

This isn’t the first time that Cerrone has let his temper get away from him outside of the Octagon. In October 2010, Cerrone derailed an MMA event in New Mexico when he punched headliner Marcus Sursa, the ex-boyfriend of Cerrone’s then-girlfriend.

Cerrone last competed in May, when he scored a unanimous decision win against KJ Noons at UFC 160, and he’s slated to fight Rafael Dos Anjos next Wednesday at UFC Fight Night 27: Condit vs. Kampmann 2. We’ll update you when more details come to light about his latest misadventure.

Read More DIGG THIS

Melvin Guillard Avoids Jail Time for Pair of 2010 Assault Charges


(Deal with it. / Photo via Getty)

Earlier this year, we learned that UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of aggravated battery, stemming from separate incidents in 2010. (The charges were unrelated to his assault of Waylon Lowe at UFC 114.) Guillard was looking at up to six months in jail for each count.

Luckily, the Young Assassin will remain a free man. As first reported by SI’s Melissa Segura yesterday, Guillard has been sentenced to supervised probation through June 2015, as well as community service.

That means Guillard’s scheduled slugfest against Mac Danzig at UFC on FOX 8: Johnson vs. Moraga on July 27th is still a go. With four losses in his last five fights, the match is an absolute must-win for the veteran striker. Melvin’s promising a “new and approved young assassin” for his next fight, with a “new vibe” and “new focus.” Meanwhile, Danzig — who is coming off a split-decision loss to Takanori Gomi last November — has far more important things on his mind. Who ya got?

Read More DIGG THIS

Melvin Guillard’s 2010 Assault Charges Might Have Something to Do With Team Jackson Rejecting His Return


(Sorry Melvin, you know the rules — every time you screw up, we post this picture of you. / Photo via CombatLifestyle)

As we mentioned yesterday, Melvin Guillard‘s announcement that he was leaving the Blackzilians for his old home at Jackson’s MMA was quickly shut down by the Albuquerque-based team, who apparently doesn’t want him back. According to MMAJunkie, it wasn’t only due to Guillard’s lack of loyalty in changing camps — a pair of 2010 assault charges could have also been a factor. Here’s the story:

Two months before UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard announced via Twitter that he was returning to Team Jackson-Winkeljohn in Albuquerque, N.M., the gym’s leaders voted to keep him from doing so. Guillard had inquired about a potential reunion through former teammates, who then passed word to the gym’s administration. The vote was unanimous.

“The Young Assassin” had angered the team in interviews he gave about a move this past year to Florida’s “Blackzilians” team, a source close to the MMA team told MMAjunkie.com. Adding to concerns, Guillard has two outstanding assault charges against him from separate incidents in Albuquerque in 2010…

According to Bernalillo County (N.M.) court records, Guillard currently faces five charges: two misdemeanor counts of aggravated battery, to which he pled not guilty. Three misdemeanor counts of failure to appear in court were settled. A jury trial on the assault charges is set for April 10, where he faces six months in jail for each count, in addition to fines and probation.

Read More DIGG THIS

And Now He’s Fired: Paul Daley Released From Bellator Roster Following Bar Fight Assault Charge [UPDATED]


(And to think, if only Big Dan was at Paul’s side, this whole situation might have been avoided.) 

Good morning, Potato Nation. How was your Christmas? I see that at least a few of you spent it here, arguing about racism, or incomprehensibly ranting about women’s rights, and we thank you for the repeated page views. But if you think you were the only ones whose stockings were stuffed with a bit of vitriol this holiday season, think again, because UFC castaway and all around good guy Paul “Semtex” Daley apparently spent his beating the Christmas spirit out of some local bar patrons.

Sound familiar? According to ESPN’s Josh Gross, Daley has not only been arrested on assault charges stemming from a recent bar fight in his native London, but has been barred from entering the United States until the situation is resolved. This of course means that he will not be participating in Bellator’s upcoming welterweight tournament, although his original opponent, War Machine, had already suffered a leg injury that forced him to postpone their scheduled fight 4 to 6 months. We would say that this is a rather unfortunate turn of events for Bellator, but shit happens when you stack your roster with ex-cons and guys who were thrown out of the UFC for being hotheaded sore losers.

Daley — who could face up to two years in prison if convicted — has yet to make an official statement on the issue, but simply posted the following on the UG:

Rumours. However it seems my next fight will not be for Bellator.

And indeed, Daley has already been booked in the headlining matchup of Cage Contender 16 in Dublin, Ireland on February 23rd. An opponent has yet to be named.

[UPDATE]

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA