regret gifs
15 Moments of Instant Regret [GIFs]

Tag: battery

Another Ex-Girlfriend of Anthony Johnson Accused Him of Battery in March, Police Report Reveals


(Photo via Getty)

As we previously reported, UFC light-heavyweight Anthony Johnson is currently on an indefinite suspension, following allegations that he brutally assaulted the mother of two of his children at her place of employment in 2012, then talked her out of pressing charges; the victim claims she has been receiving threatening calls and text messages since then. This followed a separate incident in 2009, in which Johnson roughed up a different woman and eventually pleaded nolo contendere to a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence.

Unfortunately, Johnson’s history of abuse doesn’t end there. According to a police report first unearthed by MMAJunkie, another ex-girlfriend of the UFC fighter claimed that Johnson assaulted her at her place of employment. Via Junkie:

On March 19, the woman called police to get Johnson to leave her place of employment, Park’s Taekwondo. According to the probable cause affidavit, she did not give a full account of the incident until the next day, when a teacher from the taekwondo school called police to document a text message he said he received from Johnson. The woman told police then that Johnson had showed up unannounced at Park’s Taekwondo on 15 separate occasions in the three months she had worked there, even though their sexual relationship ended in 2012.

The woman said Johnson knew she was working alone March 19. She said he demanded to speak with her, grabbed her shirt behind the neck, lifted her up from the chair by her shirt and grabbed her right arm. She showed the investigator “bruising on her right forearm and a reddish scratch mark near her right collarbone.” She told police she asked Johnson to leave several times, but he did not until police arrived.

Read More DIGG THIS

Thiago Silva Beats Aggravated Assault Case, Because His Ex-Wife Has Left the Country


(Deal with it. / Photo via Getty)

In a victory for bad guys everywhere, former UFC light-heavyweight Thiago Silva has been officially cleared of all charges related to an alleged spree of mayhem in January and February of this year. Silva had been accused of sticking a gun in his ex-wife Thaysa’s mouth and threatening to kill her, sending her bonus death-threats via text message, then driving over to Pablo Popovitch’s gym and threatening to shoot up the place. He was eventually charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence.

Luckily — for Silva, not for society — a Florida judge dropped all the charges:

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with a Broward County State Attorney’s office representative following an initial report from TMZ. The representative said that the charges were likely dropped because the alleged victim had become uncooperative and investigators had determined that she had likely moved out of the country.

Read More DIGG THIS

Lee Mein Arrested for Felony Sexual Battery, Blocked From Cornering Son at UFC Fight Night 49


(Lee Mein mugshot, via iic.tulsacounty.org)

Jordan Mein seemed to be firing on all cylinders when he TKO’d Mike Pyle in a little over a minute at UFC Fight Night 49 in Tulsa on Saturday. But missing from Mein’s corner was his father Lee Mein — a veteran MMA fighter himself — who was blocked from his usual cornerman duties due to a Friday afternoon arrest for felony sexual battery.

The elder Mein was accused of assaulting a maid at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Tulsa, the host hotel for the event, just before UFC Fight Night 49 weigh-ins. Lee Mein was taken into custody, then released after posting $2,000 bond early Saturday morning. Nevertheless, UFC officials didn’t want him around that night. Here’s the official statement from UFC.com:

We were made aware that James Lee Mein, father of UFC competitor Jordan Mein, was arrested yesterday on allegations of felony sexual battery. Mr. Mein is accused of felony sexual battery during an encounter with a housekeeper at the UFC’s host hotel in Tulsa, Okla. The UFC finds the allegations against Mr. Mein deplorable and we fully support local law enforcement in its investigation. The UFC is also prohibiting Mr. Mein from attending tonight’s event. Jordan Mein will remain on tonight’s card.”

A fixture on the Canadian MMA scene since 2000, Lee Mein (now 47 years old) has jobbed his way to a 6-13 pro record as a heavyweight, and most recently lost to Tim Hague by TKO in February at WSOF Canada: Ford vs. Powell in February. At this point, Jordan Mein’s only public comment on the matter was to say that his father’s arrest wasn’t a distraction.

After the jump, the police affadavit adds more details about the housekeeper’s accusations…

Read More DIGG THIS

Thiago Silva Released From Jail on $25,000 Bond, Awaits Aggravated Assault Trial


(Props: Local10.com)

A month after he was arrested for allegedly holding his ex-wife Thaysa at gunpoint and making death threats outside of Pablo Popovitch’s gym in Fort Lauderdale, UFC light-heavyweight veteran Thiago Silva is a temporarily-free man again. On Friday, a judge granted Silva’s release on a $25,000 bond following a hearing in Broward County, Florida — despite prosecutors’ claims that Silva’s status as a Brazilian national makes him a flight risk, and Thaysa’s testimony that Thiago would kill her if he was freed.

Silva currently faces charges of aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence. His next court appearance will reportedly take place next week. In the meantime, Silva must wear an electronic monitoring device, complete an anger management program, submit to random drug and alcohol testing, and (this goes without saying) stay away from Thaysa and Popovitch. In addition, Silva was forced to surrender his passport and must stay out of Broward County.

According to this Local10 report, Silva had dozens of friends and MMA fighters supporting him at Friday’s hearing, including Rashad Evans. In a salacious twist, Pablo Popovitch’s wife Fabianna gave testimony, stating that Thaysa “destroyed my life and my kids’ family” by “sleeping with my husband.” We’ll keep you posted when we have more details about Thiago Silva’s upcoming trial.

Read More DIGG THIS

‘TUF 11′ Castmember Kyacey Uscola Convicted of Domestic Violence Charges, Faces Up to 13 Years in Prison


(Never trust an MMA fighter without tattoos. / Photo via Getty)

Middleweight journeyman Kyacey “Ice Cold” Uscola has been convicted of domestic violence charges stemming from a brutal attack on the mother of his child on June 15th, 2013. According to Sacramento news outlet news10.net, a Sacramento Superior Court found the 32-year-old Uscola guilty of battery on a spouse or cohabitant, battery with serious bodily injury, and corporal injury on a cohabitant.

As news10.net reports, Sacramento D.A. spokesperson Shelly Orio said “the victim suffered a life-threatening laceration to her pancreas, eight broken ribs, a punctured lung, an orbital fracture and two lumbar fractures.” Uscola’s sentencing is scheduled for February 14th, and he faces the possibility of up to 13 years in prison.

The report describes Uscola as a “rising star in the MMA world,” which couldn’t be further from the truth. Perhaps best known for his unsuccessful stint on TUF 11 — during which he almost got his dick bitten off by a pitbull (long story) — Uscola has lost eight straight fights since November 2010. His professional record stands at 21-24, and he’s never won more than three fights in a row.

News10.net interviewed Sacramento’s own Urijah Faber, who tried to set Uscola on the right track several years ago, until a 2011 domestic violence incident derailed their working relationship:

Read More DIGG THIS

Battery Charge Against Chad Mendes Dropped; ‘Money’ Gets Off With Fine

The battery charge against UFC featherweight Chad Mendes was dropped by a judge yesterday. Mendes had been charged with sucker-punching a bar patron then fleeing the scene during a July 29th brawl at the Lacey Inn Bar in Hanford, California. Mendes faced up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine. Instead, he plead no contest to a lesser count of public disturbance and has paid a fine and avoids jail time.

“I have said from the beginning that the ridiculous allegations published by the media were either false or incredibly sensationalized,” Mendes said in a statement. “(Monday’s) outcome proves it.”

There clearly was not enough evidence to support the charges against Mendes and he can now look towards his December bout against Hacran Dias on the UFC on FX 6 card.

- Elias Cepeda

Read More DIGG THIS

Chad Mendes Being Charged with Battery for Involvement in July Bar Fight


Props: Twitter.com/chadmendes

By George Shunick

When Chad Mendes was first accused of sucker punching a patron at a California bar during a brawl and fleeing from the cops, he dismissed the accuracy of the charges against him and stated he would cooperate fully with the investigation. In retrospect, that turned out to be a bad idea. Mendes was charged with battery yesterday, facing up to a $2,000 fine and 6 months in jail.

For those of you who missed this the first time, or have the memory span of a goldfish, here’s the official recap of what happened:

“Kings County Sheriff’s deputies say Mendes, a 27-year-old local native, sucker punched a man in the face at the Lacey Inn Bar on July 29. Leaving out the back door, he ran from law enforcement and managed to escape capture. But witnesses at the scene recognized the famous athlete. [Author’s note: people recognized “famous athlete” Chad Mendes!? MMA is finally mainstream!]

Deputies initially stopped at the bar around 1:18 a.m. in response to a call about two people fighting in the parking lot. After they pulled the men apart, about 40 more people decided to join in, turning it into a large brawl.

Read More DIGG THIS

WTF of the Day: Ken Shamrock Hits a Woman He Thought Was a Dude


“I used to kind of have the opposite problem whenever I’d visit Thailand. Long story.”

And now for something completely different.

It’s 2012, yet I’m about to tell you that Ken Shamrock did something of relevance yesterday. Before you start to guess what he did: Yes, it was actually winning a fight – even though his opponent was just some random tubbaguts. No, it wasn’t a sanctioned MMA fight that he won. And obviously, it was pretty damn embarrassing for everyone involved. Give up yet? Brace yourselves…

Ken Shamrock, while breaking up a fight, got arrested for hitting a woman. His justification for hitting the woman wasn’t so much “She attacked me first, and I was simply defending myself” as it was the rock-solid “Wait, THAT’S a chick? For real? GET OUT!” defense.

Not that I think any of you are surprised by this, but let’s read what TMZ.com wrote about the incident after the jump:

Read More DIGG THIS

And Now He’s Arrested: Frank Trigg in Custody on Battery Charges


Let me get this straight: You come to me empty-handed, and you want my help?

Earlier this year, we passed along a rather disturbing story regarding former UFC fighter and HDNet commentator, Frank Trigg. For those of you who don’t remember: In October 2011, Trigg allegedly choked his wife unconscious in front of their children. TheDirty.com posted a graphic picture of his wife’s throat following the incident, and one affair with a twenty-three year old assistant producer later, Trigg was out of work with HDNet.

Today, ProMMANow.com is reporting that Trigg was arrested yesterday on charges of battery over the incident. He’s currently being held at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas on a $15,000 bond, and will be appearing in court tomorrow.

I’m not a lawyer, and I realize you’re innocent until proven guilty, but I’m not liking Trigg’s odds of (ahem) beating this case.

Read More DIGG THIS

Alistair Overeem Sentenced to Community Service, Anger Management for Alleged Lady-Shoving


(Does *this* look like the face of a man who might beat you to death with a large ceremonial hammer?)

You can all exhale now — Alistair Overeem‘s dust up at the Wynn Las Vegas hotel earlier this year, in which he allegedly shoved a woman, will not result in a jail sentence. This is good news for UFC fans who are salivating over his upcoming heavyweight title fight against Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146, and great news for the lucky bastard who just avoided becoming the Reem’s cell mate. (I’m just saying, he’s a big man, and he needs love.)

Overeem waived his right to a trial and did not appear in court for his misdemeanor battery hearing yesterday. While he was busy throwing out energy fields at the UFC 146 press conference, Overeem’s attorney David Chesnoff finalized a plea deal that will require the fighter to fulfill 50 hours of community service and to undergo anger-management counseling. Hopefully Alistair learns to channel his aggression into something positive, like party-rocking. Overeem also received a suspended 90-day jail sentence, but the matter will be dismissed as long as he meets the conditions laid out by the court.

Without sharing details of the case, Overeem described the situation as a lesson about the differences between Holland and America:

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA