Thanks to everybody who voted in the opening round of our Greatest Fights in MMA History Tournament! The original field of 16 classic fights has now been chopped down to eight. Before you vote in the quarterfinals, here are the results from Round 1:
THE ‘COME AT ME BRO!’ DIVISION
- Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar 1 defeated Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida, with 78.7% of the vote. This was the biggest blowout of the opening round.
- Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson 2 defeated Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung 1, with 55.6% of the vote
THE MODERN CLASSIC DIVISION
- Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua 1 defeated Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva vs. Mark Hunt, with 51.9% of the vote
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson defeated Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez 1, with 75.2% of the vote
THE LEGENDS DIVISION
- Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama defeated Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mirko Cro Cop, with 53.3% of the vote
- Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Royce Gracie 1 defeated Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz, with 74.8% of the vote
THE ‘TAP TAP TAP!’ DIVISION
- Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen 1 defeated Nick Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi, with 50.8% of the vote. This was the closest match of the opening round.
- Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 2 defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Bob Sapp, with 64.4% of the vote
And those are your eight quarter-finalists, ladies and gentlemen. Vote now, and come back on Monday for the results and the beginning of the quarterfinal round!
ONE FINAL, IMPORTANT NOTE: Some of you were under the impression that your votes were being improperly recorded because the right-arrow flashed every time you placed a vote, even when you were voting for the matchup on the left side. We apologize for the confusion; those arrows were meant to direct you to the next matchup, not indicate who you voted for. (I know, it threw me off at first too.) But believe me, all your votes were recorded properly, and Diaz vs. Gomi lost fair and square. Also, yeah, that green VOTE NOW button at the bottom of the bracket does nothing. Sorry about that.