sexy cosplay girls comic con
51 Sexiest Cosplay Outfits From Comic-Con EVER

Tag: California State Athletic Commission

The War on Drugs: California Ruling Strikes Down TRT Exemptions for MMA Fighters Until Further Notice


(Image via Fightland/RyanLoco)

A decision made during a California State Athletic Commission meeting in Los Angeles on Monday could have a major impact on the ongoing testosterone replacement therapy debate in MMA. Among the topics covered during the eight-hour session was a new proposed rule that would standardize the process for obtaining therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone. But the rule was successfully challenged by Department of Consumer Affairs lawyer Michael Santiago. As FightOpinion reports:

“[Santiago] said that until there is a statute/regulation on the books regarding testosterone that the commission should not be using an ‘underground’ policy of approving T usage. He argued that testosterone is considered a banned substance.

The end result is that fighters like Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, and Frank Mir will not be allowed to use testosterone while fighting in California until a law is on the books that explicitly spells out approval for T usage…[T]he UFC will be furious about this development given how many guys they have fighting in California who love testosterone. Vitor Belfort’s sympathy plea for continued testosterone usage means he won’t be fighting in California any time soon…

Read More DIGG THIS

CSAC Says There Was More Than Ice Water Flowing Through Cavalcante’s Veins During His Last Bout

Defense exhibit I: You can clearly see Feijao’s teammate slipping him something behind his back. Don’t waste your time, Feijao, it’s been tried before. (Photo: MMAJunkie.com)

If Dana White has been hexed with an “Injury Curse“, surely someone has placed a “Banned Substance Pox” on poor Scott Coker. After losing two stars in Cyborg Santos and Muhammed Lawal to failed drug tests earlier this year, he’ll now likely have to soldier on without the services of former Strikeforce Light Heavyweight champion Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante.

As first tweeted by Gabriel Montoya and reported by MMAFighting.com [thanks for doing the heavy lifting, guys], the California State Athletic Commission has suspended ‘Feijao’ for one year and fined him $2,500 after testing positive for a banned substance following his quick destruction of Mike Kyle last month at “Strikeforce: Barnett vs Cormier”. ‘Feijao’ stunned Kyle with a big knee in the opening moments of the bout then swarmed him with ground and pound before pulling guard, sinking in a guillotine choke, and drawing the tap—all in a cool 33 seconds.

CSAC’s George Dodd has yet to reveal which banned substance Cavalcante was popped for, but his manager, Ed Soares, isn’t buying it…

Read More DIGG THIS

Barnett Granted Conditional California License, Paving Way for StrikeForce Heavyweight GP Final in May

By Elias Cepeda


(The California State Athletic Commission’s methods may have not been considered normal, but at least now no one can say they just gave Barnett a slap on the wrist.)

Current Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix participant and former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett was issued a conditional license to fight in the state of California once again by the California State Athletic Commission Monday during a special meeting called to consider his case. Barnett failed a pre-fight drug test for steroids in 2009 as he readied to fight Fedor Emlianenko in the now defunct Affliction fight promotion. His license to fight in California was subsequently suspended and a later appeal for it to be lifted was denied.

Since that time, Barnett has been licensed and fought in both Ohio and Texas. However, Strikeforce has the next round of their heavyweight tournament scheduled to take place in California in mid-May, and Barnett is slated to face off against Dan Cormier. The commission’s next regularly scheduled meeting is set for April but, as they explained today, that would not have been enough time to allow Strikeforce to effectively promote the card. So a special meeting was requested and approved for Barnett. Before today’s meeting, Barnett was subjected to, and passed, another drug test.

Read More DIGG THIS

‘Cyborg’ Santos is Going with the Old “Tainted Supplements” Defense

Damn it! Why can’t any of MY supplements be tainted?!?

Well, that didn’t take long. Less than 24-hours after Cris Santos was fined and suspended by the California State Athletic Commission for failing her post-fight steroid test at “Strikeforce: Melendez vs Masvidal”, the now former Strikeforce women’s 145lb Champion has released a statement.

There are many hands a fighter can play after failing a PED test. There’s the ‘Bullshit Laboratory” defense, the “Recovering from an Injury” excuse, the “Poor Self Image” defense, and the increasingly popular “Deficient Testicles” defense. While some of these may have been invoked by “Cyborg”, she’s going with the tried and (possibly) true “Tainted Supplements” defense. It allows the busted fighter to admit that they are guilty of not closely monitoring their nutritional intake, but innocent of any deliberate wrong doing. And, if you’re keeping score, it’s been used by damn near every fighter ever busted for steroids.

But enough about what Santos could have said. Here she is, in her own words…

Read More DIGG THIS

Do Over Alert: Mackens Semerzier vs. Robbie Peralta Rematch Booked For UFC on FX 2


(Linka was always Peralta’s favorite Planeteer, but stealing her wind-based attacks?! The man is out of control!) 

Chalk one up for justice. When their original bout back at UFC on FOX ended via an accidental headbutt that knocked Mackens Semerzier out cold, Robbie Peralta was initially gifted a TKO victory. Referee Big John McCarthy and the audience alike were confused to say the least, but assumed that Peralta had managed to sneak in some sort of phantom punch in the mess of things. However, a quick look at the replay revealed a clash of heads to be the cause of Semerzier’s sudden case of narcolepsy, and “Mack Da Menace” immediately appealed the decision to the California State Athletic Commission. In a rare bit of good judgement, the commission sided with Sermizer and changed the bout to a no contest.

Now that all has been rightfully adjusted, these two featherweights are set to battle once again, this time at the UFC’s second FX event, which features a welterweight clash between Martin Kampmann and Thiago Alves as well as the debut of the UFC’s newly added flyweight division.

Read More DIGG THIS

Barnett Refuses to be ‘Ambushed’ By CSAC, May Skip February Hearing


("You think it’s easy being the only reasonable person on Earth? I got news for you, it is *not* easy." PicProps: MMAFrenzy)

MMA’s most infamous steroid cheat says he hasn’t quite decided if he’ll be present next month when the California State Athletic Commission rules on his application to be relicensed to fight in that state. Nonetheless, Josh Barnett still plans on competing in this year’s Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, though the date and location of his first round bout against Brett Rogers is yet to be determined. With or without Barnett in attendance the CSAC will rule on his license come Feb. 4, according to executive director George Dodd, and that ruling will likely effect where the California-based promotion can hold events on which Barnett is scheduled to appear.

As of right now, we’d guess that we shouldn’t plan on seeing “The Baby Faced Assassin” compete in any of the “major” combat sports states like Cali, Nevada or New Jersey anytime soon, especially if he ghosts the CSAC next month. Naturally, Barnett is taking a typically nonchalant, borderline combative stance on the whole thing. Dig it: "There are still some things I have to figure out … with (legal) counsel and Strikeforce and also to hear something from the commission (about) what exactly they intend to do or want," he told MMAjunkie.com this week. "I definitely don’t want to spend my time and fly up there to be ambushed."

Read More DIGG THIS

So Wait, Is It OK or Not OK for Chael Sonnen to Shoot Himself Up With Testosterone?


("What, the pink shirt? I need to wear it for undisclosed medical reasons." PicProps: FightNightNews)

As expected, there’s a ton of fallout today from Thursday’s California State Athletic Commission hearing, which saw Chael Sonnen’s year-long suspension for a failed UFC 117 drug test cut in half. Reactions range from pious outrage that Sonnen got let off the hook to excitement that MMA’s best trash talker will be back in the cage sooner than expected to amusement that he had to spend at least part of the hearing publicly talking about his balls. 

A lot of it was very boring and a lot of it was very strange. Sonnen referencing his late-teen puberty and citing the Americans with Disabilities Act as part of his defense were both admittedly pretty weird. All that aside, your feelings on this case probably boil down to whether or not you believe Sonnen has a legitimate, albeit sort of nebulous medical condition that requires the regular injection of testosterone. If you don’t, if you believe Sonnen, his attorneys and his doctor perpetrated a large scale fraud in front of the CSAC, God and everybody online yesterday, you’re probably pretty pissed right now. If you do believe him, then you likely think the commission’s ruling was the appropriate one. 

Honestly, our personal opinions about what happened at the meeting seem kind of beside the point right now. In my view, the thing I’m really still waiting for someone to explain is this: After his suspension is up, will Sonnen be allowed to keep fighting while receiving the same testosterone replacement therapy, so long as he does the proper paperwork next time? If so, then what are we really talking about here? A technicality? An administrative error? Sonnen got confused about to how many doctors and how many times he had to disclose his medical condition? Wow that seems, uh, dull.

Read More DIGG THIS

Chael Sonnen to Appeal Steroid Suspension; Hearing Set for December 2 in California


(Depending what happens on December 2, Sonnen might be back running for office sooner than expected)

According to MMAJunkie, we’ll finally get to see how good of a politician Chael Sonnen really is on December 2 when he attempts to talk his way out of a one-year suspension he was handed for allegedly testing positive for steroids following his UFC 117 fifth-round submission loss to Anderson Silva.

Sonnen will have his appeal heard that day by the California State Athletic Commission.

It will be interesting when the facts of the case come to light, considering all of the information that has been released to date, including an allegation by CSAC executive director, George Dodd that Sonnen prefaced his pre-fight drug screening with the disclaimer that "he may test positive for something." Whether or not this hearsay can be used as evidence will remain to be seen, since Chael has been known to deny conversations in the past. Maybe it was a Hispanic guy Dodd mistook for Sonnen.

Read More DIGG THIS

Sonnen Told CSAC Officials He Might Piss Hot For Steroids In His Pre-Fight Drug Test, Yet They Still Let the Fight Go On


("This isn’t going to end well, I can feel it.")

 Well, the Chael Sonnen PED case just got a whole lot stranger.

According to a report by Sports Illustrated’s Josh Gross, Sonnen indicated to California State Athletic Commission officials who administered his pre-fight drug screening urinalysis that he had taken a banned substance that might show up in the test.

That’s pretty much the nail in the coffin of his UFC career if true, but Chael being Chael will likely blame it on this guy with the Hispanic accent who has been impersonating him in interviews:


(Pic props: lookoutawhale via the UG)

Read More DIGG THIS

Was a Sexual Harassment Scandal Behind Armando Garcia’s CSAC Resignation?

Armando Garcia CSAC MMA
(Apparently he exposed himself to the guy on the right. Just kidding. Photo courtesy of boxingbilldempseyyoung.com.)

On Sunday, MMA Weekly broke the news that Armando Garcia — the often-controversial Executive Director of the California State Athletic Commission — will resign from his post at a public commission meeting on November 18th; an interim Executive Officer will be appointed at the meeting, and an executive search committee will be formed to secure a permanent replacement. Fightlinker immediately began rejoicing the departure of the man who allowed an HIV positive fighter to fight, re-licensed MMA scumbag Mike Kyle, completely mishandled Sean Sherk’s steroid appeal, suspended Nick Diaz for marijuana use without testing him for marijuana use, constantly pulled fighters from shows at the last minute, and a litany of other offenses. But judging from the mysterious final line of the MMA Weekly report (“Garcia declined comment on his departure, but said he would share his side of the story soon”), we had a feeling that even more shameful deeds might come out in the wash.

So if the constant administrative fiascos weren’t enough to get Garcia fired, what was? Michael Swann of 15 Rounds now reports that the forced-resignation is a result of some good old American sexual harassment, with a little unethical business behavior thrown in on the side. First, the sex stuff:

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA