sexy cosplay girls comic con
51 Sexiest Cosplay Outfits From Comic-Con EVER

Tag: Fedor Emelianenko

*UPDATED* Strikeforce Locks Fedor in For at Least a Few More Fights


("I am ecstatic about new contract. I have not stopped smiling all week.")

Strikeforce moved one step closer this week to ensuring that its heavyweight tournament doesn’t implode and that Fedor Emelianenko *could* eventually fight heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

According to a report by MMAFighting.com, "The Last Emperor" has signed a contract extension with the San Jose-based organization that will see the Russian fighter compete in the planned 2011 heavyweight tournament. Although terms of the agreement were not released, as per Strikeforce policy, the report indicates that sources close to the situation said that the deal is for four fights. The new deal will commence with a February 12 first round tournament bout with Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in New Jersey.

The question is whether or not it’s too little too late for Strikeforce to put together the most anticipated tilt in its promotional history between Emelianenko and Overeem.

Read More DIGG THIS

Wednesday Morning MMA Link Club: Worst Blind Date Ever

Shinya Aoki Yuichiro Nagashima K-1 Dynamite!! 2010
(Shinya Aoki tries to hide his disgust next to kickboxer/cosplayer Yuichiro Nagashima, who he’ll be facing in a strange mixed-rules bout at Dynamite!! 2010. Though we suppose any match against Nagashima could be described as "strange, mixed-rules.")

Some selected highlights from our friends around the MMA blogosphere. E-mail feedback@cagepotato.com for details on how your site can join the MMA Link Club…

- Tito Ortiz vs. Lil’ Nog Will Now Headline UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle (MMA Convert)

– ‘UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch’ in Sydney Ties Sellout Record (Versus MMA Beat)

– WEC 53: Five Fights To Make (Heavy.com/MMA)

– Clay Guida: Livin’ in an RV Down by the River [VIDEO] (FightMagazine)

– While His Management Negotiates, Fedor Emelianenko’s Legacy Suffers (MMA Fighting)

– Keith Jardine Gets the Help of the US Secret Service to Prosecute Nemesis Fighting (MiddleEasy)

– Five Reasons Why Jake Shields Will Beat Georges St. Pierre (Or Not) (LowKick)

– Roxanne Modafferi Discusses Fight With Hitomi Akano at Sengoku’s New Year’s Event (Five Ounces of Pain)

– Eddie Bravo Breaks Down What Went Wrong in Dustin Hazelett’s Loss to Mark Bocek (MMA Scraps)

– The MMA Year In Review Part 1: Randy Couture, Herschel Waker, James Toney and More (SBNation.com/MMA)

Read More DIGG THIS

Strikeforce Looking to Stretch Out Anticipated Heavyweight Match-Ups in a Grand Prix That Could Blow Up in Its Face


(Surprise, Strikeforce may be making a mistake with matchmaking.)

I never thought I’d ever speak out against a grand prix tournament, but because the proposed Strikeforce heavyweight tournament has so many question marks surrounding it, I’m almost hoping it doesn’t happen.

When Scott Coker mentioned earlier this year that Strikeforce was either going to piss or get off the pot when teasing its fans with heavyweight fights that never seem to come to fruition because of those crazy Russians for whatever reason, I thought he meant it.

What Sco-Co should have said was, "We’ll likely milk the current roster for whatever we can and if we can make the fights fans want to see, then we will, but we likely won’t."

According to Tatame, the California-based promotion is planning on stretching the tournament over three events and will likely anchor Strikeforce’s foray into pay-per-view TV — a move necessitated by the fact that it’s unlikely that CBS will be having them back on network TV in 2011 and the costs of greasing the pockets of M-1 Global for each Fedor-featured event are likely more than most Russians make in their lives.

Read More DIGG THIS

No Fedor at January Strikeforce Show, M-1 Killjoys Say


(Uh-oh, I think we’ve got a workout video on our hands. Somebody get Jay Glazer on the horn, STAT. PicProps: Connect.in)

If you looked at yesterday’s reports that a bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva was being considered for Strikeforce’s Jan. 29 show and thought to yourself, “Self, that seems awfully soon. Almost too soon,” well, you were right. We hate it when you’re right. Anyway, it turns out the aforementioned January date is “not on the table” for Fedor’s next yawn-worthy matchup in the Strikeforce cage, M-1 Global spokeshipster Evgeni Kogan said on Friday. As reported by MMA Junkie, Kogan wouldn’t elaborate further on the matter except to say that everybody involved has “been steadily working toward an agreement.”

The Junkie also notes that a couple months back M-1 boss Vadim Finkelstein said the rent-a-Fedor outfit was “negotiating primarily with Showtime to secure Emelianenko’s return.” Not to read too much into that, but it pretty much makes it sound like Strikeforce itself is the least important party in these talks. It also indicates that maybe Kogan wasn’t just blowing smoke recently when he said M-1 was trying leverage its own live fight events onto Showtime. If they can pull that off, well, I wonder if they could also speak to my mortgage lender.

Read More DIGG THIS

Fedor vs. Bigfoot Reported for January Strikeforce Meeting, Overeem vs. Lashley Rumored for Dynamite!!

Fedor Emelianenko MMA wallpaper moon clouds
(Oh yeah. The person who made this wallpaper just *gets it*.)

After months of negotiations between Strikeforce and Fedor Emelianenko‘s useless management company, the Last Emperor may finally have a return date. According to MMA Weekly, Emelianenko will face fellow heavyweight contender Antonio Silva at a yet-unannounced January 29th Strikeforce event. It will be Emelianenko’s first fight since his shocking submission loss to Fabricio Werdum in June. Silva also dropped a fight to Werdum last November, but has posted wins over Andrei Arlovski and Mike Kyle since then. Emelianeko is already 1-0 against fighters with acromegaly.

The January 29th event is expected to take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, and will allegedly feature the return of Herschel Walker, and — get this — the third meeting between Jason Miller and Tim Kennedy, now that the trash talk between Miller and Nick Diaz has officially reached a stalemate, with neither fighter willing to leave their weight class.

But enough about non-freak-show fights. Let’s get to the good stuff…

Read More DIGG THIS

CagePotato How-To #1: ‘How to Beat Fedor Emelianenko’


How To Defeat Fedor With Fabricio Werdum – Watch more Funny Videos

In the first of a hopefully-ongoing series in which MMA fighters instruct you on how to do things you’ll never actually have the opportunity to do, here’s Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum taking us through the triangle/armbar he used to defeat Fedor Emelianenko back in June. (Props to Ruben Vera for putting this together.) Despite Werdum’s accent and liberal interpretation of the word "back," the dude seems like a great instructor. If you live near Huntington Beach, why not drop by Kings MMA and say hello?

Previously: Fabricio Werdum Says He’s Likely to Fight Alistair Overeem in March

Read More DIGG THIS

Mike Tyson Was Contracted to Fight Fedor and Cro Cop in PRIDE

I remember watching Mike Tyson calling out Bob Sapp (*Editor’s note: How the hell is Bob Sapp only 35?) after "The Beast" beat Kimo Leopoldo at K-1 World Grand Prix event in Las Vegas in 2003 and thinking, "Man, I wish Tyson would fight somebody good in MMA."

Well, it turns out that  in 2003 "Iron" Mike had a contract with PRIDE and was supposed to fight two of the Japanese promotion’s best heavyweights: Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Fedor Emelianenko.

The bouts never came to fruition for several different reasons, but if they had, Dana White likely wouldn’t have had any interest in bringing James Toney into the UFC to solve the, "Who would win between a boxer and a mixed martial artist?" question.

Imagine how differently each man’s career would have turned out if Tyson had knocked Emelianenko and Filipovic out in the 2004 PRIDE Heavyweight Grand Prix.

The translation of the story from  PRIDE: Secret Files courtesy of MMA-Japan.com is after the jump:

Read More DIGG THIS

Fedor Says He Will Likely Re-Sign with Strikeforce and That He Has Feelings, Too


("In Stary Oskol, these ARE weights.")

Fedor Emelianenko did a rare fan Q&A session this week on a Russian website championat.ru where he opened up about a lot of interesting topics, including his thoughts on Cain Velasquez, the prospect of universal champions and whether or not he is considering signing with the UFC over Strikeforce.

I apologize for the somewhat shoddy translation in advance. I was pressed for time since the interview was three pages long, and Fedor likes to talk in Russian slang, but the overall messages are there.

Check out the translation after the jump:

Here are Fedor’s thoughts:

Read More DIGG THIS

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Overseas Before Returning to Strikeforce, If That’s Cool

Fabricio Werdum Strikeforce
(Smile, and the whole world smiles with you. Except for Scott Coker, who might be throwing himself off a bridge at this point. / Photo courtesy of sports.sho.com)

With his left elbow healthy again following surgery, you’d figure that Fabricio Werdum would be itching to get back in action and challenge Alistair Overeem for Strikeforce’s heavyweight title, or take that rematch with Fedor Emelianenko that he wanted for some reason. Well, yes and no. Yes, he wants to fight. But no, he’s not going to fight any of those dudes in Strikeforce — mainly because he doesn’t have to. Werdum laid out the situation to Sherdog in an article about his recent BJJ seminar world tour:

“I used this trip to make a couple of good contacts in Abu Dhabi and Japan. Strikeforce want me to return in March against Fedor [Emelianenko] or [Alistair] Overeem, but I’m looking forward to having a fight before that one. I don’t have an exclusive contract with Strikeforce, only for the U.S., and I got a nice proposal in Abu Dhabi and another one in Japan…My arm is 100 percent now and I feel that by February, I’ll be ready to fight in Abu Dhabi or Japan."

Read More DIGG THIS

Friday Link Dump

numb from Erwann Marshall on Vimeo.

- UFC 126 likely February 6 in Vegas during SuperBowl weekend (mmajunkie)

- The world’s most thorough building inspector (torontosun)

- Fedor’s management explains why he isn’t in the UFC (middleeasy)


- Victoria’s Secret at your Hallowe’en party (mademan)

- Roy Nelson pulled from UFC 125 card (mmamania)

- 13 shocking revelations from George W. Bush’s autobiography (holytaco)

- 10 hours of MMA action today on HDNet (heavy)

- Lorenzo Fertitta confirms UFC shooting for late April Ontario debut (montrealgazette)

- Johnny Depp offered another storybook movie role (screenjunkies)

- Bellator pushing for Lombard-Jacare, Diaz-Askren (sherdog)

- Trevor Wittman explains why he’s the happiest man on fight night (mmafighting)

- Celeb fans of MMA — the hot ones (cagedoctors)

- People are awesome (scoresreport)

- Canadian martial arts event last weekend featured striking on the ground (nationalpost)

- Hottest hawaiian chicks (chickipedia)


Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA