sexy cosplay girls comic con
51 Sexiest Cosplay Outfits From Comic-Con EVER

Tag: injury

Here Are Some Pics of Ronda Rousey’s and Uriah Hall’s Nasty Injuries


(Photo via Getty)

UFC 175 was a great card, but its gravitas was lessened if you were among the squeamish.

What happened?

We’ll start off with the least serious injury first: Ronda Rousey’s hand stitches.

Conceptualizing how Ronda Rousey could’ve possibly gotten injured in her 16-second OBLITERATION of Alexis Davis is beyond the mental faculties of mid-tier MMA bloggers. Somehow it happened though. Rousey hurt her hand, and even had stitches on it by the end of the right. Joe Rogan stated this was why she couldn’t headline UFC 176 in August.

See two photos of the injury that have been circulating on Twitter after the jump…

Read More DIGG THIS

Blerg! Jose Aldo Injured, UFC 176 Rematch With Chad Mendes Cancelled


(At least he seems to be taking it…well.)

In a loss that should downgrade the card from a pay-per-view to a free night of fights but undoubtedly won’t, Jose Aldo has been injured and is out of his featherweight title fight rematch with Chad Mendes scheduled for UFC 176.

MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani broke the bad news on last night’s edition of UFC Tonight, and Dana White confirmed that the fight had been cancelled shortly thereafter. Nova Uniao released a statement as to the severity of Aldo’s injury late last night:

Nova Uniao announced on Wednesday night that Aldo has suffered a shoulder and cervical spine injury after being taken down in training on July 1. According to the release, Aldo started physical therapy Wednesday and won’t be able to train for three weeks, when he will be examined again for the cervical spine injury.

For the time being, it appears that the loss of Aldo-Mendes II will move the co-main event rematch between top middleweights Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo Souza into the main spot. Not a bad matchup by any means, but take a gander at the rest of the PPV card and ask yourself, “Is this worth $60?”

The answer is of course, f*ck no. Unless the UFC decides to shuffle in a more worthy main event, or at the very minimum, downgrade the price of the PPV. No, *you* sound crazy.

So, on what side of the 200k benchmark do we see this card landing in terms of PPV buys?

-J. Jones

Read More DIGG THIS

It Looks Like We Won’t Be Seeing Cain Velasquez in the Octagon Anytime Soon


(Get comfortable, champ. You’re gonna be there a while. Via Cain’s Instagram.)

Heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez is kind of like Santa Claus, in that he only comes around once a year and delivers presents, if you will, in the form of vicious beatings for our entertainment. We haven’t seen Cain in the octagon since his October 2013 title defense over Junior Dos Santos in their trilogy match at UFC 166, but following a successful shoulder surgery in December, it was believed that Velasquez would back in action by late 2014.

Well kids, it looks like Christmas is cancelled this year, as other lingering injuries and a possible coaching gig on The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America may keep Velasquez sidelined until 2015. Yep, 2015. Said Ariel Helwani on last night’s edition of UFC Tonight:

I spoke to his wrestling coach and he told me that Cain’s doctor cleared him to use his right hand in training two weeks ago, but he’s not sure if Cain’s ready to use the left hand yet. He’s not sure if he’ll be ready by November. He said he won’t rush into the fight that’s targeted for then. He won’t fight until he’s 100 percent. There’s talk of Cain coaching The Ultimate Fighter Latin America, and the UFC has approached him about it, and they could film it in May in Las Vegas. It would be a likely scenario that he’d coach against Werdum now.

God. Damn. It.

So not only do we have to wait for Anthony Pettis to run the TUF gauntlet before we see him fight again, but now Velasquez is being put on the back burner? And to coach the international version of a notoriously cursed show as far as coaches go?

CagePotato Ban: Placing entire divisions on hold for a goddamn reality show. Or not stripping a champion of his/her belt after a year of inactivity. Either or.

-J. Jones

Read More DIGG THIS

Poll: Which Injury/Disease Will Inevitably Take Down Tito Ortiz *This* Time?


(“Sorry Bjorn, Von Willebrand disease.”)

Last week, Bellator middleweight champ Alexander Shlemenko called out Tito Ortiz via a stoic, multilingual Youtube video, even though he understood that “Tito Ortiz, different weight class.” Ortiz immediately accepted the fight via Instagram because he’s real good at accepting fights, and before we had time to stop and ask, “Wait, what the fuck?”, Bellator went and booked the fight for their May 17th pay-per-view. Bjorn Rebney’s line of reasoning was as follows:

Tito wants a fight. Shlemenko wants a fight. As a fan, I would love to see the fight. I think it’s got this incredible, kinda cool dynamic going where a small 85er who could conceptually make 70 is going to move up to 205 to fight one of the greatest fighters in the history of 205. 

I can’t even with that logic, so for now let’s just focus on the matchup at hand, and more specifically, how it will never actually happen on account of Ortiz pulling out with an injury or sickness in the coming weeks.

Tito Ortiz may be one of the greatest 205ers of all time, but he also has, as Rebney admitted, “a long and storied history of getting injured preparing for fights.” He was injured pretty much his entire UFC career, if you were to ask him, and it’s been the same for his Bellator career thus far. That being the case, we all might as well speculate as to the extent of the injury he will inevitably pull out of *this* fight with, right? It’s the Christian thing to do, so join us after the jump to vote in our poll.

Read More DIGG THIS

Surgery Roundup: Weidman and Hendricks Set Timetables for Return, Carlos Condit to Go Under the Knife Tomorrow


(“And for my next trick, I will pull a horseshoe out of Joe Rogan’s ass and beat him over the head with it!” Photo via Getty.)

I don’t mean to jinx things, but 2014 is rapidly approaching 2012 as the year of the injury curse. So far, 2014 has been the year that put the final nail in Dominick Cruz’s coffin, saw Anderson Silva do a full-on Corey Hill, and took out Cain Velasquez for the foreseeable future. Oh yes, and let us not forget that GSP vacated his title this year, and that we won’t be seeing Anthony Pettis in action until December 27th*. No, fuck you, 2014.

Even our newly-minted, young-gun champions, Chris Weidman and Johny Hendricks, have been bitten by the injury bug recently, going down with a knee injury and torn bicep/fractured shin, respectively. Honestly, it makes one consider whether fighting for tens of thousands of hundreds of dollars is really worth spending the majority of your prime years battling injuries that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix, but I digress.

Amidst all the black clouds currently hovering over the MMA landscape, however is a silver lining. Following successful bicep surgery, Hendricks has already set a timetable for his return, telling The MMA Hour that he is hoping for a 4 to 8 week rehabilitation period before he can resume training. For some gruesome before and after photos of Hendricks’ shredded ligaments, plus updates on Weidman and Carlos Condit, join us after the jump.

Read More DIGG THIS

Dana White Trashes Alistair Overeem for “Ducking” Junior Dos Santos, Gets Immediately Corrected by Overeem

That was the first rebuttal offered by Alistair Overeem after Dana White told UFC Tonight that the former Strikeforce heavyweight champ was “hiding” from former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos. According to White — who was clearly having a bad day at the office — Overeem was offered a five-round main event fight with Dos Santos in Brazil immediately following his dominant win over Frank Mir at UFC 169 (which White was also super critical of, for some reason). After allegedly turning it down, Overeem was then offered a three-round main event with “Cigano,” but promptly turned it down as well.

“He wants nothing to do with dos Santos,” White told UFC Tonight’s Ariel Helwani. “He’s literally hiding from JDS…but he had no problem calling out Brock Lesnar who hasn’t fought in 2 years and who is in WWE.”

A strong accusation coming from a man usually known for making calculated, restrained statements bolstered by impeccable fact-checking (see: Pena, Julianna) if there ever was one.

What’s that, you say? Overeem is hurt, hence why he’s not ready to fight? Well I guess we might as well hear him out…

Read More DIGG THIS

Gross Video of the Day: Gabriel Gonzaga’s Broken Hand Can Also Be Used as a Flotation Device

The hard-flung overhand rights that Gabriel Gonzaga launched at Stipe Miocic during Saturday’s UFC on FOX 10 co-main event may have hurt him worse than they hurt his opponent. Gonzaga came out strong in the first round of the heavyweight scrap, only to grow visibly fatigued and inactive as the fight wore on. Ultimately, “Napao” lost a unanimous decision.

Breaking his right hand early in the fight may or may not have had a lot to do with that, but what is for darn sure is that the Brazilian’s paw was straight jacked-up after the bout. MMA House has released a video of a hand they say is Gonzaga’s taken from what appears to be backstage in the United Center or a hospital room Saturday night.

Check it out above. If you’re a hearty soul, go ahead and try it while eating lunch.

The top of “Napao’s” hand is cartoonishly swollen and puffy, kind of like there’s a fat stack of oatmeal cookies underneath his skin. Why did my mind choose that as an analogy? Is it bad that now I want cookies?

Anyway, Gonzaga deserves a cookie after that disgusting injury, especially after losing. Go get yours, ‘Zaga.

- Elias Cepeda

Related: Gross Photo of the Day: Anthony Njokuani’s Hand Doesn’t Even Look Like a Hand Anymore

Read More DIGG THIS

BREAKING: Dominick Cruz Tears Groin & Vacates Title, Faber vs. Barao II at UFC 169


(“That’s UFC Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz leading today’s pack…wait a minute…he appears to be veering off the track and…yep, he’s headed for the medical tent. This cannot be good, ladies and gentlemen.” Photo via Getty.)

To borrow a phrase from the Co-Main Event Podcast, “ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?”

Dominick Cruz is injured. A-G-A-I-N. Groin tear this time. He has vacated the bantamweight title (a lot of that going around lately…) and in his absence, interim champion Renan Barao has been promoted to undisputed champ and will rematch Urijah Faber at UFC 169 with his first official defense on the line. The announcement was made by Dana White on Sportscenter at 4:30 EST.

Faber will be fighting on less than a month’s notice. It should be noted that the last time these two met, the result was the worst card of the year.

All things considered, I’m kind of excited for this. No, seriously. It’s not just that my New Year’s Resolution was to be less cynical (also, stop waking up naked in cornfields with blood on my hands). This has been a long time coming for Cruz.

Read More DIGG THIS

UFC on FOX 9 is Officially Cursed: Injured Matt Brown Out of Fight With Carlos Condit


(If only the discs in Brown’s back could’ve been “immortal” too. / Photo via Getty)

We don’t want to freak you out, but curses are real. Our last five posts about UFC on FOX 9 have all been injury related. Our sixth post about the event is worst of all: Matt Brown is out of his fight with Carlos Condit due to a back injury.

The best fight left on the card after a series of injuries ravaged it is gone now. If you’re not keeping score, here’s a rundown of how injury-plagued this fight card has been:

Read More DIGG THIS

Anthony “Rumble” Johnson vs. Mike Kyle Is Simply Never Going to Happen


(Ian McCall’s broken hand is laughing at you right now, Mike.)

In the very brief history of The World Series of Fighting, Anthony Johnson vs. Mike Kyle has been booked on two separate occasions yet has never come to fruition. It probably never will.

The pair was first scheduled to collide in the main event of WSOF 5 last September, until “Rumble” was forced to pull out from the bout with an injury and replaced by Andrei Arlovski (who eventually defeated Kyle via unanimous decision). The pair was then rescheduled to throw down in the main event of WSOF 7 on December 7th. A press release sent out earlier this morning, however, informs us that the fight has once again been scrapped. Did I mention that it will likely never happen ever?

“I’m as disappointed as anyone that we’re forced to cancel this fight, but Mike just could not compete with his broken toe, and we simply could not find a suitable opponent for Anthony on such short notice,” World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo said.

“That said, we are fortunate that we still have a fantastic championship matchup between Georgi Karakhanyan and Lance Palmer that will now serve as our main event, and I think fans are still going to enjoy an incredible fight card.”

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA