minimalist movie posters
21 Incredible Minimalist Movie Posters

Tag: NSAC

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Won’t Be Punished for Press Conference Brawl Any Time Soon


(Such a shame. Did our #JusticeForSholler hashtag accomplish *nothing*?)

In today’s installment of “the Nevada State Athletic Commission is a total clown show,” NSAC officials have confirmed that last Monday’s press conference brawl between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier won’t be addressed at its next meeting on August 21st.

“The incident between Jones and Cormier will not be on the agenda for the commission meeting this month,” NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett told MMAjunkie yesterday. “If and when it does, I will let you know.”

Directly following the brawl, NSAC chair Francisco Aguilar wrote, “It’s too premature for us to comment, considering we were not there. Upon review of the video and follow up questions, we can make an assessment.” Ten days later, it’s apparently still too premature to comment; they must be super-busy over there. Still, I guess taking no action is better than immediately firing a guy before even looking at the tape.

With Jones vs. Cormier now postponed to January, this would have been the perfect opportunity for the NSAC to give the fighters an utterly meaningless four-month suspension that would expire before the fight was scheduled. But they’re not even doing that. Like I said before, being a superstar with a fight coming up makes you untouchable.

Related: Jon Jones Apologizes to Fans, Slated to Undergo Surgery on Injured Leg

Read More DIGG THIS

Chael Sonnen Still Plans on Showing Up to Metamoris 4 on Saturday, Despite NSAC Threats


(Galvao may have the accolades, but he’s never dealt with an elite-level oil-check artist like Sonnen. /Photo via Sherdog)

Chael Sonnen’s jiu-jitsu coach Fabiano Scherner confirmed to MMAFighting.com last night that Sonnen will indeed travel to Los Angeles for his scheduled headliner against Andre Galvao at the Metamoris 4 grappling event on Saturday. Sonnen runs the risk of being fined hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, for violating his two-year suspension from competition. But as the man himself put it…

(Sonnen’s twitter bio still describes him as “Godfather of integrity.” Awesome.)

It should be pointed out that the NSAC’s ability to fine Sonnen for competing in a grappling competition in California is still a major point of contention. Earlier this month, Sonnen’s lawyer Ross Goodman sent NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar a letter explaining why a jiu-jitsu competition doesn’t fall under the commission’s jurisdiction:

The term ‘unarmed combat’ is defined in NRS 467.0107 as ‘boxing or any form of competition in which a blow is usually struck which may reasonably be expected to inflict injury. There is no dispute that the NSAC has no jurisdiction or authority to regulate, license or sanction jiu-jitsu and other forms of grappling. Moreover, jiu-jitsu does not fall within the Nevada definition of unarmed combat because it does not involve “blows” of any kind. Likewise, it would be a violation of due process to expand the interpretation of ‘fighting’ broader than the statutory definition of unarmed combat

Read More DIGG THIS

NSAC Attemps to Block Chael Sonnen From Competing at Metamoris 4, Threatens Him With Massive Fines


(Life was so much simpler then.)

Last month, the Nevada State Athletic Commission smacked Chael Sonnen with a two-year suspension after he tested positive for a pharmacy’s worth of unapproved substances, following two separate random drug tests back in May. As Sonnen and PED-apologist Ralek Gracie see it, that suspension shouldn’t stop the American Gangster from headlining a submission-grappling event in California this weekend. But according to the NSAC, it should stop him from competing, and they’re pretty upset about it.

Bleacher Report’s Jeremy Botter broke the news that the NSAC is attempting to prevent Sonnen from competing at Metamoris 4, scheduled for this Saturday, August 9th, in Los Angeles. As Botter wrote:

Multiple sources confirm NAC has threatened to fine Sonnen $250,000 per failed drug test violation if he competes at Metamoris. Sonnen has hired Vegas lawyer Ross Goodman to represent him in the case…Sonnen camp’s contention is that grappling is not fighting and suspension shouldn’t cover it.”

A follow-up report from MMAJunkie adds more details:

Read More DIGG THIS

Chael Sonnen: Future NSAC Advisor, and Other Lowlights From Today’s NSAC Hearing


(“I’d like to present the commission with exhibit A, and remind them that they are standing in the presence of greatness.” Photo via Getty.)

At this point, I’m convinced that Chael Sonnen could literally crawl through a river of shit and come out clean on the other side. His ability to put on a fancy suit and speak in slightly nuanced platitudes without the necessity of a translator has apparently cast a spell over MMA fans, fighters, promoters, and commissioners, from which they will never wake up.

Case in point, at today’s NSAC hearing — you know, the one where Vitor Belfort was granted a fight license because whatevs — Sonnen was handed down his punishment for failing two random drug tests in a row prior to UFC 175. After thankfully opting against a defense (outside of whatever this was) for his drug test failures, Sonnen was raked over the coals by the commission for “trying to flat out cheat the system.”

“You don’t get to stop one prohibited drug and start using five prohibited drugs,” said the Assistant AG of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, “You’ve gotten to be kidding me that you’re sticking a needle in you with EPO and HGH and didn’t know it was prohibited.”

Surely, a swift punishment was just moments away.

LOL NOPE. Despite facing a potential lifetime ban from MMA and fines totaling upwards of $250,000, the NSAC opted to slap Sonnen with a (completely meaningless now that he’s retired) two year suspension and a fine totaling 0.00 dollars. Then they offered him a f*cking job. Ahh, sweet justice!

Read More DIGG THIS

Vitor Belfort Breezes Through NSAC Licensing Hearing, Will Face Chris Weidman at UFC 181 in Las Vegas



(Yes, it was broadcast on Fight Pass. No, Rogan and Goldie weren’t calling the action, although that would have been amazing. / Screencap via UFC Fight Pass on Twitter)

In retrospect, we should have known better to expect the Nevada State Athletic Commission to crack down on Vitor Belfort. Too much money was on the line.

Belfort appeared at an NSAC licensing hearing today, in the wake of his positive test for elevated testosterone in February. It was the second time that Belfort has failed a drug test in Nevada, following a steroid bust in 2006. And yet, Belfort cruised through the proceedings, walking away with a conditional license that would keep him sidelined until December and require him to undergo random blood and urine testing at his own expense. The commission’s decision to re-license Belfort was unanimous.

Directly after Belfort’s license was secure, the UFC announced that the Brazilian veteran would fight Chris Weidman in a middleweight title fight at UFC 181, December 6th in Las Vegas.

Belfort was humble and cooperative during today’s hearing, throwing himself at the mercy of the commission, but his version of events were never challenged. Here’s an excerpt from MMAJunkie’s report that suggests how toothless the NSAC’s hearing was:

Read More DIGG THIS

Chael Sonnen ‘Accepts Responsibility’ for Second Positive Drug Test, Faces Up to $250,000 Fine From NSAC


(And like that…he’s gone.)

Is it quiet in here, or is it just the utter lack of Chael Sonnen soundbites over the last month? We haven’t heard a peep from the American Gangster since he failed a random drug test for unapproved hormone-regulators, and retired on national television. Then, a second test came up positive for HGH and EPO, and things got really awkward. And so, the man best known for never shutting up has been laying low in Oregon, a ghost, a myth, a spook story that gangsters tell their kids at night.

Following Sonnen’s positive test, the Nevada State Athletic Commission released an amended complaint against the former UFC fighter, which lists the potential punishments that are in store for him: a fine of up to $250,000, the suspension of his license, expenses related to the complaint, and the requirement that he provide a clean drug test upon his next licensing application, which will probably never happen because he’s retired, but still, 250 large, good lord. At least he can afford it, considering he was previously “the highest paid fighter in the business.” [citation needed, obviously]

Yesterday, Sonnen’s lawyer Jeff Meyer submitted his client’s formal response to the NSAC, making it clear that Sonnen has accepted his fate:

Read More DIGG THIS

Wanderlei Silva Admits to Skipping Drug Test, Claims He Was Taking Diuretics Related to Wrist Injury


(By the way, the hearing was streamed live on Fight Pass, which means that UFC is finally starting to take our advice. It’s about damn time! / Props: MMAWeekly)

Wanderlei Silva appeared at an “informational meeting” yesterday held by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, in which he was asked to explain his mysterious disappearance when a sample-collector showed up at his gym last month to give him a random drug test. And while Silva himself didn’t say a word during the meeting — instead speaking through his lawyer, Ross Goodman — he managed to dig himself into a deeper hole.

Chael Sonnen was right: Silva did intentionally run out the side door when the tester arrived. From Sherdog’s recap

Prior to Goodman’s statement, the NSAC had Jim Guernsey, an independent sample collector with approximately 34 years of experience, to detail the events of May 24, when he arrived at Silva’s gym to retrieve a blood and urine specimen from the fighter. After unsuccessfully trying to track down Silva via telephone and at his home, Guernsey found the UFC veteran at his Las Vegas gym. However, Guernsey would not find the cooperation he was seeking.

“I explained that the Nevada Athletic Commission had asked me to get a blood and urine sample from him. He said OK and was finishing eating and visiting with the people around him… After they finished, he asked me if he could talk to his manager or trainer,” said Guernsey, who provided his account from detailed notes he took that day. “I asked him if this person was at the gym and he said yes. I told him that was fine and gave him a little space. I think he had just finished working out.

“He walked up to the front desk and I followed a little way behind him,” Guernsey continued. “He went into an office in the middle of the gym and came out after just a few seconds. He walked back to the front counter and then walked past the office toward the back of the gym and went around the corner to the right. I casually followed behind him, and when I turned around the corner I realized there was an exit there and a bathroom. I didn’t see him anywhere. I went into the bathroom and looked around and didn’t see him there … I kept looking around for a few minutes, and I still couldn’t find him. I came to the conclusion that he left.”

Read More DIGG THIS

Chael Sonnen Attempts to Explain Failed Drug Test Via Last-Second Interview With ‘Jay Mohr Sports’


(“Thank God there aren’t random drug tests in @EASPORTSUFC” — former CP writer Jason Moles dropping truth bombs.)

Just moments ago, word was handed down that Chael Sonnen had failed a random drug test administered last month (you know, the same one that he verbally executed Wanderlei Silva for skipping out on), and had been pulled from his UFC 175 fight against Vitor Belfort as a result. Being the master of spin-control that Sonnen is, The American Gangster attempted to get out in front of the story by appearing on comedian Jay Mohr’s sports radio show and explaining himself before the ESPN story broke. Attempted being the point of emphasis here.

Instead, Sonnen partook in a rushed interview that not only failed to beat the ESPN story out of the gate, but left as many questions as it answered. Mohr also chimed in at one point that Sonnen should use the next 30 days before his hearing to get “loaded up on steroids,” so there’s that to look forward to as well.

Sonnen’s statement, along with a full transcription (via MMAFighting) is after the jump. 

Read More DIGG THIS

The Officiating Was So Bad on ‘TUF 19′ Last Night That It May Have Literally Changed the Sport


(Props: TheUltimateFighter on YouTube)

If you’ve been skipping this season of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Edgar vs. Team Penn, you’re missing out on some elite-level pumpkin carving and cross-dressing. Also, universally-reviled referee Steve Mazzagatti made another controversial decision during last night’s episode, and jeopardized his career in the process.

First, Mazzagatti deducted a point from Roger Zapata for an illegal “12-to-6″ elbow during the “Sudden Victory” round of his fight against Ian Stephens. Though Zapata was warned about throwing 12-to-6 elbows before the point-deduction, the shot that actually led to the penalty was verrrrry questionable. (Skip to 0:54-0:58 in the above video and tell us what you think, then brace yourself for Team Penn assistant coach Mark Coleman roaring gibberish in anger.)

UFC president Dana White stormed out of the gym rather than watch the fight continue. If only it ended there, guys. If only. Here’s what happened next, as described by FightOpinion:

Read More DIGG THIS

Brian Stann Becomes the Latest Former Fighter to Rally Against MMA’s “Inadequate” Drug-Testing Policies


(The face of MMA’s anti-PED crusade, ladies and gentlemen.) 

Does it say more about the UFC or its athletes that classy, universally-respected guys like Georges St. Pierre and Brian Stann only feel comfortable discussing their gripes with the organization’s drug-testing policies after they have stepped away from the sport? It’s hard to say for sure, but in any case, Stann has followed suit with GSP, first lamenting the sport’s drug issues as a “major part” of why he retired earlier this month before further explaining himself during an appearance on The MMA Hour yesterday.

While Stann refused to name names, he was quick to admit that MMA’s lackadaisical drug-testing has made it easy for many a fighter to cycle on and off PED’s over the years — a trend that will continue to plague the sport until a change is made:

I think the time when you retire coming off a loss and then you say that, what I didn’t want to do was discredit any of my former opponents. You know, specifically seeing that Wanderlei (Silva) was my last fight, I didn’t want to come off like, ‘Hey, I’m making excuses. The only people that beat me were people on drugs.’ I don’t know any of that for a certainty. There’s one time when I fought a guy on TRT when it was allowed, and that’s the only time that I could say substantially somebody was taking something. But, it was a factor.

I’m a clean fighter. I’m 33 years old, and I have seen, in my own training, and in talking and knowing guys in the inner circle, I’ve known what guys are not on, and when they cycle on it. You can feel the difference in the gym and what big a difference it makes, and I do think there are a number of guys who are using just because the testing currently by our athletic commissions is inadequate.

Read More DIGG THIS
CagePotatoMMA