24 Jul 2014 17:10:41 PM
The bad boy is back, baby. The UFC announced this evening that welterweight star Nick Diaz has signed a three-fight contract extension, and will tentatively return to action in early 2015, against an opponent to be named later. (Probably not Joe Riggs.)
Diaz has been “retired” since his decision loss to Georges St. Pierre in their title fight at UFC 158 in March 2013. Since then, the Mayor of Stockton™ has popped up here and there to threaten folks with an ass-whoopin’, but refused to return to the UFC unless it was for a title fight. Luckily, a 16-month vacation has changed his opinion. Sort of. Here’s what Diaz said to UFC.com about his current goals and what he’s been up to lately:
“I’ve been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff,” Diaz said Thursday afternoon at UFC headquarters. “I’ve been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It’s been a good experience having this much time off.”
The target for Diaz and the UFC is to get him back in the cage early next year, but the confident 30-year-old fighter said he’d be ready to fight tomorrow.
“Next year I guess, whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight,” he said. “You have to do what you have to do. … [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].Read More DIGG THIS