Steroids in MMA
Which MMA Fighter Will Test Positive For Steroids Next?

Thiago Silva Held Without Bail and Given Lifetime UFC Ban as Horrific Details Begin to Emerge in Aggravated Assault Case

(Courtroom feed of Silva’s bond hearing via sunsentinel.)

We don’t even know where to begin with the details emerging in the aftermath of Thiago Silva’s armed standoff with Florida Police, so let’s just jump right into it (via a police report obtained by MMAFighting):

-After appearing before a judge this morning, Silva was officially charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of resisting an officer without violence, and one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon stemming from a prior incident.

-The aforementioned prior incident took place on January 30th, 2014 between Silva and his ex-wife, Thaysa (the couple filed for divorce in December 2012 after 13 years of marriage but continued to live together), wherein Silva allegedly “picked up a revolver, pushed her onto the sofa, placed a revolver inside her mouth and threatened to kill her.”

-Two days ago, police were again called to the Silva residence by Thaysa when she arrived home to find her ex-husband inside, which violated the terms of the temporary injunction for protection she had filed against Silva. Thiago eventually left without incident (after initially refusing), but later texted Thaysa that he was “gonna f–k you up and you are going to die. I am going to hire someone to kill you and I am gonna move my girlfriend in.”

-Yesterday evening, Silva arrived at the Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy, visibly intoxicated. Popovitch has been involved in a romantic relationship with Thaysa that is partially responsible for setting Silva off in the first place. After honking the horn until Thaysa exited the gym, Silva pointed a glock at his ex-wife’s face and stated, “You have ten seconds to bring Pablo outside and if he does not come out, I will go in the gym and start shooting everyone.”

Once Popovitch exited the gym, Silva continued to make death threats with the gun pointed at Thaysa, prompting Popovitch to call the police.

-Police officers arrived at Silva’s house shortly thereafter. In turn, Silva “faced the deputies and gave them the middle finger then proceeded inside his residence.” A SWAT team was subsequently sent in and managed to subdue Silva with a taser before taking him into custody.

-The state was pursuing an attempted murder charge for the January 30th incident, but Silva’s previously clean record, in addition the lien currently being placed on him by the IRS for unpaid taxes, led Judge John Hurley to throw out the charge. However, Hurley did recognize that Silva was a potential flight risk and threat to the community, and forced him to surrender his passport before withholding his bond.

Oh yeah, and Dana White told TMZ and Yahoo Sports that Silva “will never fight in the UFC again.” Glad we could get that out of the way.

If only this was the most insane thing that will happen in Florida today. We will keep you updated on Silva’s case as information is made available.

-J. Jones

Cagepotato Comments

Showing 1-25 of comments

Sort by : Show hidden comments