Since we only got to see the four main card fights on last night’s UFC Fight Night 20 broadcast, here’s a recap of the prelims…
– Chris Leben def. Jay Silva via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
– Rick Story def. Jesse Lennox via split decision (30-27 x 2, 28-29. Due to a scoring error, the bout was initially declared a majority draw.)
– Thiago Tavares and Nik Lentz fought to a majority draw (29-27 Lentz, 28-28 x 2. Tavares was deducted a point for low blows.)
– Rory MacDonald def. Mike Guymon via submission (armbar), 4:27 of round 1
– Rafael dos Anjos def. Kyle Bradley via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
– Gerald Harris def. John Salter via TKO (strikes), 3:24 of round 3
– Nick Catone def. Jesse Forbes via split decision (28-29, 29-28 x 2)
For scoring the night’s only stoppage via strikes, Gerald Harris pocketed a $30,000 Knockout of the Night bonus. Evan Dunham picked up the $30,000 Submission of the Night bonus for his horrible-looking armbar on Efrain Escudero (don’t worry, Effy’s fine). $30k Fight of the Night bumps went to Tom Lawlor and Aaron Simpson for their memorable three-round battle, which saw Simpson get battered half to death in the first round before edging out Lawlor in rounds two and three (according to two judges, at least).
— The Fairfax, Virginia crowd must have been shocked to see Chris Leben not stand and bang for three rounds, but use takedowns and ground-and-pound to secure a comfortable deicison against Jay Silva. "Every time I go out there I look for the knockout," Leben said later, "but the strategy was working so well and I needed this win so badly that I decided to stay with the ground game." Looks like a spot on the undercard was all Chris needed to find a sense of self-preservation.
— The broadcast cut out before Gray Maynard could do his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan, but the live crowd got to hear Gray offer himself to BJ Penn and make a little jab at Kenny Florian: "I ain’t gonna make a cheesy speech about students and masters. If they want it, I’m here for him. UFC if you want me to do it, let’s fight."