A veritable treasure trove of MMA action kicked off with two events last night, MFC 30 and “The Score Fighting Series”. Even if those organizations don’t ring a bell for you, they did line up recognizable names for their cards, and we’ve got the videos of who did what to whom.
At MFC 30, Brian Cobb showed no intimidation when the opening bell rang, but shortly after standing back up from a Drew Fickett takedown, the 18-6 prospect found himself in a world of trouble. Just a minute into the fight, Fickett took Cobb’s back standing, locking up a body triangle and working for his 31st submission when the fight hit the ground. Three and a half minutes and a dozen rear naked choke attempts later, Cobb turned into Fickett’s guard and unloaded a barrage of unanswered punches forcing the ref to halt the bout. To his credit, Fickett did meet all of the criteria needed to challenge an early stoppage, but from the replay it looked like the only thing supporting his bobblehead was the bottom rope.
Former UFC southpaws Pete Spratt and Marcus Davis also locked horns on the HDNet-aired card. Davis showed a lot of movement throughout the fight, landing knees on the inside and shooting for takedowns whenever Spratt looked to tee off. Little damage was meted out when the fight hit the canvas, but the same could be said for the stand-up battle prior to the third round. In the end, Davis had done enough to secure the decision victory.
I can’t find any videos of the Sokoudjou-Boughton and Zaromskis-Mein bouts online, so “The Score” video recap will have to suffice. Did Zaromskis pull off the win? Did Sokoudjou fart his way to victory as predicted? Click play and find out.
MFC 30 (via MMAFighting.com):
-Brian Cobb def. Drew Fickett via TKO (punches) – R1, 4:44
- Marcus Davis def. Pete Spratt via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Sheldon Westcott def. Thomas Denny via unanimous decision (29-27 3x)
*Westcott was deducted a point in the third round for hitting Denny in the back of the head.
- Dhiego Lima def. Jamie Toney via TKO (punches) – R1, 2:47
- Curtis Demarce def. Robert Washington via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)
* Decision was initially announced in favor of Robert Washington, but commission later changed the result after learning the 30-27 score was meant for Demarce and not Washington.
- Andreas Spang def. Cody Krahn via submission (guillotine choke) – R1, 1:18
- Mukai Maromo def. Scott Cleve via first-round TKO
- Garrett Nybakken def. Jevon Marshall via first-round TKO
The Score Fighting Series (via MMAMania.com):
-Mike Reilly def. Tyler Hardcastle via KO (slam) in round 2
-Alex Ricci def. Mike Sledzion via KO (punch) in round 2
-Tristan Johnson def. William Romero via unanimous decision
-Kurt Southern def. Jorge Britto via unanimous decision
-Josh Hill def. Darin Cooley via unanimous decision
-Mick Mamalis def. Adrian Wooley via split decision
-Antonio Carvalho def. Douglas Evans via unanimous decision
-Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou def. Roy Boughton via unanimous decision
-Joe Doerksen def. Luigi Fioravanti via unanimous decision
-Jordan Mein def. Marius Zaromskis via unanimous decision
You can catch the rest of MFC 30 courtesy of Zombie Prophet.