(“HYPOGONADISM BITCH, ALL DAY!” / Photo via Esther Lin @ MMAFighting)
Though his job appeared to be safe following his UFC 157 decision loss to Brendan Schaub, pissing dirty for steroids turned out to be the kiss of death for heavyweight Lavar “Big” Johnson. In light of his failed drug test, Johnson has been cut by the UFC. In addition, the California State Athletic Commission has hit him with a nine-month suspension, as well as a fine of “around $1,250″ that reflects the cost of the two tests the CSAC used for his drug screening.
MMAJunkie adds some more surprising details about what led to Johnson’s PED bust:
An elevated testestosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 6.6-to-1 triggered a carbon isotope ratio (CIR) test that confirmed Johnson had testosterone in his system that was “was consistent with the administration of a steroid.” Johnson, though, admitted he was undergoing testosterone replacement therapy in a recent conversation with the California State Athletic Commission, which oversaw the Feb. 23 pay-per-view event at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and suspended him based on the results of his test. Johnson failed to disclose TRT on a pre-fight medical questionnaire. A rep for AKA said the fighter may seek an exemption for the treatment.
Here’s how you know TRT is nothing more than a bullshit cheating-method — when a dude who looks like this claims to need it, and then avoids mentioning it during his pre-fight medicals. Ah well. You can’t say the UFC didn’t warn you. In other UFC drug-bust aftermath news…
UFC middleweight Riki Fukuda, whose positive test for a trio of banned stimulants following UFC on FUEL TV 8 earlier this month led to his own release from the promotion, is blaming the result on over-the-counter cold medication, which he says he took a few weeks before the event, but forgot to disclose to UFC officials beforehand. According to MMAFighting, “Fukuda’s positive test result will be reported to the Association of Boxing Commissions, which will then make a decision regarding how long before he would be allowed to fight for another organization.”
As for Alex “One Toke Over the Line” Caceres, the featherweight released the following statement on Wednesday regarding his bust for marijuana metabolites at the same event: “I accept full responsibility for my actions and the consequences from those actions. I apologize to all that I have disappointed, including the UFC, my family, coaches, training partners and fans. I accept the sanctions from the UFC, and I look forward to completing the necessary steps to getting back in the octagon following the suspension and assuring that this never happens again.”
As we reported previously, Caceres will be suspended six months, and must attend drug rehabilitation classes and pass a drug test before he’s allowed to return to competition. I know, I know — drug rehab for weed. Don’t get us started.